Volvo Penta 290DP Prop Removal

Kyledv66

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I had a question regarding how to remove the props on a Volvo Penta 290DP. Im a bit confused because according to the manuals and diagrams, there is supposed to be a prop cone attaching the props to the shaft, however on the boat I just purchased it seems to have something different.

The props on the boat are Volvo's C3 and C4 stainless steel props, which are supposed to have the prop cone, however on my boat it's more like a plug. Attached I have some photos.

What way should I go about removing them?

Thank you

Attachments

• photo323640.jpg
    photo323640.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo323642.jpg
    photo323642.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your prop cone/net is broken off

What you see there is the end of the prop shaft

Most likely the props have not been removed every year and the shafts greased. So the props are most likely frozen on the shaft

The bad news is you will need to cut the props off the shaft to salvage the drive

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Alternatively, you may just be able to cut the hub rubber, pull the prop off the hub, then cut the hub off. It would be a lot more work, hiwever it would save the prop (will cost $100/prop to have them re-hubbed)

I would try that prior to taking a cut-off wheel to remove the props

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That’s not like any 290dp I’ve ever worked on. As said, there is normally a cone which has a bolt in the recess of it to loosen. Then the cone unscrews from a shaft. Then on the shaft there is a threaded locking multi star point washer between the props. Either the end of the shaft is broken or it’s been messed with.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That’s not like any 290dp I’ve ever worked on. As said, there is normally a cone which has a bolt in the recess of it to loosen. Then the cone unscrews from a shaft. Then on the shaft there is a threaded locking multi star point washer between the props. Either the end of the shaft is broken or it’s been messed with.

The cone is broke off, the end of the shaft is visible, so is the lock bolt.

Most likely it was broke from trying to remove it because the props have not been serviced annually.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The cone is broke off, the end of the shaft is visible, so is the lock bolt.

Most likely it was broke from trying to remove it because the props have not been serviced annually.

Likely right...or someone forgot about the centre bolt securing cone

Kyledv66

Cadet
Hey guys,

So I got the props off the shaft. I was able to salvage one by using a gear puller rigged with some chain to pull one off. Needs to be re-hubbed though. The second one had to be cut off.

However it got me noticing when comparing the shafts. 290dp shafts have a little screw thread portion at the end, something that mine does not have. Think the one I have is snapped or do I have a different model?

I was looking closer at the lower unit, and the exhaust port on mine sits below the "fin" portion, where as on 290dp the fin seems to have the exhaust within. I saw someone mention something about 290 single prop dual prop conversions and I'm wondering if that's what I got. If that's the case would I be still be able to bolt on a 290dp lower unit?
​​​
Thank you

Attachments

• photo325072.jpg
    photo325072.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo325073.jpg
    photo325073.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The lock screw is broken off in the end of the shaft. All 290DPs (all AQ series DPs) have the same shaft design

All AQ drive exhaust exits the Anti Cav plate above the exhaust, both SP and DP exhaust is the same

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. So a fair bit of confusion about this whole 290dp area. As I found out only recently.
the fact is that it’s widely considered that most of these similar drives are referred to as 290dp or under that umbrella at least. But in actual fact. Some like these and almost always after 1991, are not actually 290dp. The exhaust is usually the give away. They turned into drives called DPD or DPE. Strange but true.

Kyledv66

Cadet
This is a 1996 outdrive. Do you happen to know if normal 290DP parts would be compatible with this DP-D / DP-E outdrive?

For example, I'm considering getting a new lower unit because of the whole snapped shaft scenario. Was wondering if I can get a normal 290Dp lower end and bolt it onto mine. The bolt placement seems to line up, but not sure if shafts and everything else is the same.

Thanks for the help

Scott Danforth

Staff member
290DP was 1988
DPA was 1989....

difference between the 290DP and subsequent AQ DP series is the mid section and trim frame.

the output shaft is the same design. I believe the lower assembly has the same part number. you will need to verify.

however since they all run A or B or C series props

you still have a bolt broken off in the end of your shaft.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I don’t know enough about their compatibility but I do know that certainly their outer casings differ. The top section of the drive is different and so is the lower and in particular the exhaust outlet.
As for props. I am almost sure the B and C series have been discontinued and replaced with something like J and something else instead. OEM at least.