Water in gear oil.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks all, will check with owner what has been done, checked so far to said motor, would you say that this motor is a trrusty and reliable one ? I know idle rpm means nothing, revving at load is all, same for outboards.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes when it left the factory it was " reliable "-----But many folks do not know how to operate / maintain a marine engine.-----That is why it is in an " unreliable state " at the moment.----Volvo picked the 350 and other GM engines to use in their product line.----Tell you something ?-----Perhaps the economics / production volumes came into the picture too.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes when it left the factory it was " reliable "-----But many folks do not know how to operate / maintain a marine engine.-----That is why it is in an " unreliable state " at the moment.----Volvo picked the 350 and other GM engines to use in their product line.----Tell you something ?-----Perhaps the economics / production volumes came into the picture too.

It’s also 22 years old!
if not maintained every year and used regularly there can be a number of problems with the fuel system especially.
We would not buy a 22 year old vehicle and expect it to be 100% reliable either. I have one (98 Jeep) but bought it new and have maintained and repaired it all this time.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I think OMC used the Prestolite BID system at that time so its possible Volvo used the same thing.

Yep...those were the joint venture years. Just looked at my manual for the Volvo LK model says Prestolite BID for the 5.7. LK was 1997.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sorry searider I didn’t the the video it opens for a second and closes even quicker. It does look like a merc motor in colour but ancillaries are different for sure. Even thought it might be the Ford 5.8 Fsi they sometimes use. But no fuel injection there sure looks like a 350 of some sort. What’s the drive on it again ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's OK QBoy, the water leak was finally found and solved. The drive says Volvo-Penta, it's the dual prop model. Which type of prop hub do this prop system works with ? Being a 22 year oldie drive system could the hubs be shot ?

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That's OK QBoy, the water leak was finally found and solved. The drive says Volvo-Penta, it's the dual prop model. Which type of prop hub do this prop system works with ? Being a 22 year oldie drive system could the hubs be shot ?

Happy Boating

Hi Searider.

about the prop hubs you ask about....very unlikely and perhaps not even a thing. If it’s the 290 based dpd or dpe or anything like it, the props are not like the conventional outboard or small merc hubs. They are almost hard splined with little give onto the counter rotating inner and outer shafts. Only a small fixed section within the props. In those days it would have been most likely b series props. I think have now been replaced with J series. Only from memory though. If they were stainless. They would be C series.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hi Searider.

about the prop hubs you ask about....very unlikely and perhaps not even a thing. If it’s the 290 based dpd or dpe or anything like it, the props are not like the conventional outboard or small merc hubs. They are almost hard splined with little give onto the counter rotating inner and outer shafts. Only a small fixed section within the props. In those days it would have been most likely b series props. I think have now been replaced with J series. Only from memory though. If they were stainless. They would be C series.
This drive is not the old style 290.

The engine is also not a Ford 5.8...it's a Chevy

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Update, the ownwer previously installed new spark plugs and cables as well. The electronic distributor was found way out of correct time advance, now is well synched, day/night running difference....

Happy Boating

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Last Time I had that problem with my DP-SM it was the seal on the shift shaft but it's simple and inexpensive to put seals on the dipstick, drain plug and shift shaft all at one time

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
According to a technician this motor is running with a 2 barrel carb when should it be running with a 4 barrel one, seems previous owner change it for fuel economy. If installing a 4 barrel one will the fuel economy still be acceptable as long the motor is revving at a much less throttle than full hammer down ?

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Thats a 5.0 GLseries and came factory with 2 BBL Holley...about 195hp with 2BBL and 230hp with 4bbl