Water in gear oil.-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in gear oil.-

A friend of mine bought a boat with a 5 Ltr Gasoline Volvo Penta inboard motor, when changing the lower leg's gear oil was found quite milky. Question : to change all gear case's related parts such as o'rings, seals, is it a straightforward work compared to doing same on an outboard lower leg ? Are the Volvo Penta reliables motors ? What to know about them and be aware of.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Hi sea rider

in particular, the Volvo 270, 280 and 290 drives...including the DP versions of the latter two, are notorious for taking in water through the o ring oem seals that go on the drain, fill and dip stick fittings. Especially if they are nipped or miss shaped when tightening up the fitting after an oil change.
    I would guess that most times these drives have water in them, it’s a result of this. Many actually use aftermarket seals instead and it’s even known for some to use the mercruiser fibre seals in addition, on the drain fitting and then seal over it with silicone. I certainly used to do this. Since I first did this, it never once took water in there after in the years I had it.
    when changing the drive oil on friends who currently have these drives...I do the same.

of course it’s possible this isn’t the reason...but for certain...there is a damn good chance of it.

as for how good they are...no doubt they are superbly engineered, but expensive to fix if they have been neglected. They can be a total pain to remove if they haven’t been off for a while. The retaining pins can stick solid and can be awkward. I had to make a sliding hammer with a thread fitting to remove mine at first.
    you can cheat a little if the bellows need done. You can get away with just taking half the drive off.
    the reverse locking catch can wear and cause the drive to lift in reverse...usually at the worst possible time and in front of an audience...haha.
    The cone clutch can wear too. If it’s worn and/or the wrong grade of oil is used or water is in the oil. They can be quite sensitive with regards to grade of oil and water temperature with regards to viscosity of oil in the extreme case (the older drives pre 290, use engine oil and not gear oil).
    last issue couple of issues I can think of is the trim position sender issue and the well known trim pump issue...where the ball valves wear causing the drive to drop down over a period of time and especially underway at speed.
    oh and if it’s a DP (dual prop), the oem props are silly expensive. Especially the stainless ones.

hope that makes sense and all above refers to 270/280/290 in general. Not much of an opinion on newer models really.

Comment

We need to know specifics on the drive that your friend has acquired to give the best information.
      Summer Fling-II
      2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
      Summer Fling
      2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

Comment

Thanks, not sure if told me it was a 5 or 5,5 Ltr inboard Volvo motor, but it's the Dual Prop version if we can narrow the lower leg model the boat is powered with..

Happy Boating

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Rider View Post
          Thanks, not sure if told me it was a 5 or 5,5 Ltr inboard Volvo motor, but it's the Dual Prop version if we can narrow the lower leg model the boat is powered with..

Happy Boating
          Likely of the usual 5.0 or 5.7 GM variant. For the most part, they use the same engine as mercruiser do. Up until very recently at least. Only older exceptions would be the 5.8 efi. That’s a ford engine. The smaller 4 cylinder AQ engines were terrible things. If it’s a 5.0 or 5.7 no worries.
          If you know it’s a DP drive and know the rough age of it, I could have a guess at what model it is.

Comment

Thanks QB, will check the year with the owner...

Happy Boating

Comment

Update, it's a Glastron 1998-25 ft cabin cruiser. All lower leg or'rings and gaskets has been changed for new ones, so problem solved. There's a new water intrusion, it's a small vein shape water intrusion around rear motor and transom/leg area. Which parts/areas should be looked for or changed to solve fast this new issue if anyone has experienced this kind of problem ?

Happy Boating

Comment

Update, it's a Glastron 1998-25 ft cabin cruiser. All lower leg or'rings and gaskets has been changed for new ones, so problem solved. There's a new water intrusion, it's a small vein shape water intrusion around rear motor and transom/leg area. Which parts/areas should be looked for or changed to solve fast this new issue if anyone has experienced this kind of problem ?

Happy Boating
                Glad to hear the drive issue has solved that issue. Really common thing.
                with the other issue. Look towards the steering pin for the leak. May also be a leak from a bellow, depending on exactly where it’s coming from.

Comment

QBoy, the owner shot a video of the problem, will need some kind of visual tech interpretation as the space seems to be tight to determine easily the exact location.

Happy Boating

Comment

Happy Boating
                    pull the drive and look at the bellows. if they have been leaking water, not only will you eventually leak water into the bilge, you will destroy the u-joints and input shaft.

if that is all good, then pull the motor(s) and look at the transom. Transom seals do not go bad, however the transom can rot.
                    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Allan, have you seen the video sent by email ? If so, do you have any clue about the water leak seen at the right side some seconds before the video ends ?

Happy Boating

Comment

The water leak has been fixed after removing the motor and drive...

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1340.JPG Views:	1 Size:	156.9 KB ID:	10831151
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1337.JPG Views:	1 Size:	275.3 KB ID:	10831152

The motor is a Chevrolet model 350. Will rev up nicely at different throttle positions when at neutral, when geared forward has an awful speed less than 10 knots at full throttle. What to check, look for, what's the time advance of this motor ?

Happy Boating
                        Last edited by Sea Rider; February 10th, 2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Is a VOLVO 350 GM painted black ??------I thought RED was the VOLVO PENTA primary colour ?

Comment

During the joint venture era with OMC they were dark grey just the same as OMC then in 2000 went back to red.
                            1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                            4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
                              Is a VOLVO 350 GM painted black ??------I thought RED was the VOLVO PENTA primary colour ?
                              That's the original motor color, so it's a Volvo-350 GM, 6 V cylinder motor. Would you say that model has an electronic distributor or works with the old style one old cars used to run with ?

Happy Boating

Comment

Working...
                              X