Volvo Penta 3.0

Hello, I think I know the answer but I thought I’d check the collective wisdom of this forum. I have a 2007 Stingray with a Volvo Penta 3.0. A few months ago I replaced the water pump impeller (first time I did it myself, always had a shop do it in years past). I noticed the other day when I had it out that the water pump leaks. It doesn’t seem to leak under 1000 rpm but at higher speeds it leaks a good bit. I just took the housing off again to check the o-ring. I pulled it out and the o-ring looked and felt good so I put it back and screwed it down as tight as I could and it still leaks a lot when running higher rpm’s. Here’s a picture of the leak. The housing surfaces appear smooth when I had it apart and the o-ring seemed good. Is it as simple as getting a new o-ring even though the existing one looks okay, or is there another common cause that I’m missing? Is there supposed to be a gasket between the housing attachments? There was no gasket. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• photo323344.jpg
    photo323344.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 1
Here’s a couple more pics of it disassembled. I pulled off some of the red paint on one of the bolt receiver sections of the housing (see arrow in 2nd pic). I doubt that would affect anything if the o-ring is doing it’s job, but I could be wrong.

I read some past posts and some people say that the metal surfaces (I think brass) get to a point and you have to replace the whole thing. Thoughts? Is it as simple as just replacing the o-ring?

Attachments

• photo323345.jpg
    photo323345.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo323346.jpg
    photo323346.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Its the inner shaft seal that needs replacing, and may also need a bearing

Nice vid to show to do it

He appears to be using a oil type spray for lube, but I would not use that on the impeller, I like soap or glycerin

Thanks for the reply! I think I might just order a rebuilt water pump on eBay for $200. I know it’s a few bucks more but I’m lacking in the one tool that pulls it apart. Any opinion on using a rebuilt pump?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That’s the leak off indicator pee hole...or whatever others may call it. As said, it’s your inner seal that needs done. Pretty sure it’s a lip seal on the shaft. Regardless, there are kits you can get for it.