AQ140A crankshaft gear

Orthas

Cadet
Hey all
I am fixing up my old Volvo Penta AQ140A and manged to get a set of timing gears. But the crankshaft gear was slightly different. The old one had a slot but the new one didn't. Can I get this machined or does anyone know of a place where I can buy a replacement part. I have tried my local volvo penta dealer and they have told me to get one made, but I imagine that would cost quite a bit. I was also told I could get this one https://www.allesmarine.nl/en/36-yamaha-mercury-parsun-belt-pulley-timing-ft-f20.html but it is from a yamaha. Would this one do with the lip? The volvo part number is 831971

Any info would be greatly received
Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• photo323221.jpg
    photo323221.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remove the key, and you have a slot.

fetch

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you do realize that before the motor was in a boat, Volvo used it in their cars. same base engine parts

Orthas

Cadet
you do realize that before the motor was in a boat, Volvo used it in their cars. same base engine parts

Yes I got the B21 timing gears and this is what i got. I will take them to my local engineer and see if he can match them

Orthas

Cadet
its a Volvo B21 motor

same timing gear as the later B23 (ref AQ145 and AQ171)

volvo (not volvo penta) part number 1266920

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=volvo+1266920

That is the part that I got sent but the one that came off the boat had the slot. it looks like you can take this one out but the guy fixing my boat said it was molded in (I don't have the gears here so I can't check myself). I have found part number 463575 which looks to be what I need. So will look for that.
Thanks