Spark plugs for 2012 5.0 GXiCe 270R

D_Nyholm

Cadet
Hello,
I am looking for the recommended spark plugs for this motor as volvo has their own part numbers for it and I'd like to pick up something locally.

I can only find autolite xp605 but would prefer to stick with an NGK plug (finding multiple to cross reference so not sure which one). Best I found was a NGK TR55V. Would that be the way to go?

Engine serial number is a204564 if that is needed.
Thank you!
Dennis

alldodge

Staff member
VP does make it hard to cross. Merc uses NGK ITR4A15 iridium stock 5599 gap .060

The TR55V is the V-power standard plug stock 3951 gap .060
The TR55IX is iridium plug stock 7164 gap .060

Note: do not regap a iridium plug it will crack, the standard plug can be regapped

Also the ITR4A15 are about $10 each which is about the same as can be found for the VP

D_Nyholm

Cadet
Thank you for your reply. Based on what you wrote, is there a specific plug recommended? Like the NGK ITR4A15 you mentioned above?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm thinking the ITR4A15 would be the cross, but would also look real close if this is the case. The block and ignition is the same between Merc and VP but I don't know enough to say it will work long term. Being a CAT motor, things are tuned to specific parameters. Take your old plug to an auto store and compare

A member who would have more knowledge would be muc

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
I think if you get the plugs from Volvo they will be AC 41-101 ---- guessing they can be had cheaper elsewhere.
I don't like using cross reference charts. Have had some problems with them.
These plugs are lasting way longer then the 3 years Volvo recommends.
At over $200 for 2 engines, I recommend waiting until kV numbers start climbing or misfires start showing up on the scan tool.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As said exactly. NGK 5599 iridium are the preference. Very expensive but don’t need changed every year. Don’t fall short and put in normal or platinum plugs. I tried the AC delco version. They were rubbish. Stick to the NGK 5599.