Aq171C to Aq145. Same mounts?

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 19 Ft Glasply that I am trying to decide what to do with. I am budgeting out the entire project before going into it. I will be replacing the Transom and probably stringers. Currently it has a seized Aq171C in it with a VP280 outdrive. I was offered what I believe is an Aq145 with a 280 as well by my wife's Uncle. Obviously repowering with another rare motor is probably not the best choice but I believe it had been rebuilt for about 5K by the person in the family that owned prior to the Wifes uncle buying it. Can the AQ145 Block bolt to the same mounts as the 171? I believe they use the same block. Should I change over the full outdrive as well if I put in the AQ145?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
while you replace the transom you could put something a bit more modern in there, or you go swap to a V6 or a V8

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I considered doing that but with budget and all I was thinking of using the AQ145 for now and then repowering down the road when I could afford something far more modern. A free rebuilt motor would not be bad if I could use the same mounts. I know my wifes uncle bought it from her other Aunt and Uncle and pulled it out and stuck a crate motor in the trophy. The others had just spent 5K to have it rebuilt. Thank you by the way for the advise.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
For many reasons that would take me too long to list...you’d defo be best advised to not replace with that engine. If you have a little money put by and plan to keep the boat and have it hassle free and turn key...you’d be far better dropping a gm 3.0 in her at least. Those engines are a total pain. Didn’t ever hear of one that was trouble free for any period of time. Not quite as bad as the one you need to replace, but not far off it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Both those engines have the same block. Difference between them is the heads.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I considered doing that but with budget and all I was thinking of using the AQ145 for now and then repowering down the road when I could afford something far more modern. A free rebuilt motor would not be bad if I could use the same mounts. I know my wifes uncle bought it from her other Aunt and Uncle and pulled it out and stuck a crate motor in the trophy. The others had just spent 5K to have it rebuilt. Thank you by the way for the advise.

If you are going to go with something more modern, you do it when you replace the transom, as in now

Or be stuck with AQ series drives

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to go with something more modern, you do it when you replace the transom, as in now

Or be stuck with AQ series drives
If it's an old boat, probably not even worth upgrading to a new modern drive. If they have a free replacement, I would just go with that.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The swap would be probably fairly easy.
Like someone said the heads are the main difference.

Changing to a GM anything would be a HUGE mess.
Different mounts, exhaust, bellhousing and on and on.

Before you start, start the motor and see if it runs.
Then change the single bearing on the shaft in the bell housing.

The old and new Volvos parts are expensive.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If it's an old boat, probably not even worth upgrading to a new modern drive. If they have a free replacement, I would just go with that.

same argument could be used about most restorations are not worth it.

agree on the free replacement, however the B230 motor was never a stellar performer to begin with.

just pointing out, that the time to change is now if your going to change.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yep...most restorations are not worth it...hence the advice to make it as cheap and simple as possible,