1995 Volvo Penta SX drive with 4.3L

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm new to Volvo Penta I/O stern drives after owning a Mercruiser Alpha one and an OMC Cobra stern drive. Just bought a '95 Monterey with Volvo Penta SX with a 4.3L. What the big differences between Mecruiser Alpha one and Volvo Penta drives? I had the maintenance down perfectly for my Mercruiser. Whats different on the Volvo Penta? Oil changes, lower unit gear oil change, trim and tilt etc? Anything else?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
  • the Volvo unit has many of the same components regardless if its in front of a 4-banger or a diesel (primarily gear ratio changes), the Alpha One is limited to 300hp
  • the Volvo has cone clutches, the mercruiser had dog clutches
  • the Volvo has a sealed gear box, the mercruiser has vented gear box and a lube reservoir
  • the Volvo has a belt driven raw water pump, the mercruiser has an impeller in the lower unit.
  • The Volvo has a phenomenal oiling system
  • Volvo requires appropriate gear oil for the cone clutches (read the service manual)

alignment is the same
annual inspection is the same
the need for maintenance and gear oil changes is the same.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Usually the VP is better built...but you could almost buy a new alpha for the cost of repairing some VP drives.
most other principals are the same. Some you don’t need to put the gear oil in from the bottom too. The gear oil seals are known to be poor if not careful on application.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Usually the VP is better built...but you could almost buy a new alpha for the cost of repairing some VP drives.
most other principals are the same. Some you don’t need to put the gear oil in from the bottom too. The gear oil seals are known to be poor if not careful on application.
He has a 95 SX drive...you put the gear oil in from the bottom. Have no idea what you are talking about concerning gear oil seals.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
He has a 95 SX drive...you put the gear oil in from the bottom. Have no idea what you are talking about concerning gear oil seals.

Just as described. The gear oil drain and fill seals. They don’t have the design like merc that can trap air.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just as described. The gear oil drain and fill seals are terrible and known to leak. Especially if not careful putting them in getting them nipped.
the guy asked what the differences were between merc and vp drives. I said that some you don’t need to fill from the bottom. That statement remains true and factual. /QUOTE]

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Since we are talking about HIS 1995 Volvo Penta drive, you fill from the bottom. Best not to confuse the OP.

All the O-rings go on easily on an SX drive. Yes, you should replace them everytime you change gear oil.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Since we are talking about HIS 1995 Volvo Penta drive, you fill from the bottom. Best not to confuse the OP.

All the O-rings go on easily on an SX drive. Yes, you should replace them everytime you change gear oil.

Agree Bruce. No doubt. But I suppose I was just answering the question, as asked. As in the difference between them in general.
maybe things have changed since my old 290dp, but I always found those rubber o ring seals a total pain. I used to seal up the drain and fill with silicone each year after the oil change. Just to make sure.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have worked on quite a few SX and DP-S drives that are like the OPs. The only bad o-ring is the drain on the original dual prop DP-S drives since you have to roll them over some threads. The rest of the plugs are easy as well as ALL of the ones ones on an SX.

Again, since the OP has an SX drive, not sure he needs the history of all the Volvo drives ever built