5.0 GLH - score marks/crack around block where tstat housing attaches

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Kitchener, On for reference. A couple weeks ago I did my winterization oil change, stabilized, fogged the motor, drained the block. Given I am paranoid I usually pull the stat and fill with antifreeze on a yearly basis. This year when I pulled the tstat off and after I got the block/housing cleaned up I noticed 1 large and 2 small score marks on the block where the t-stat housing attaches. Pic attached for reference. I can fit my fingernail in the large one! I think I have enough surface left that I am not too concerned...just don't want this getting worse.

Edit: I should mention the crack isn't right through the block it's just a 1-2mm deep.

Any idea how this happens? I swear I do _not_ remember these from last year! Is it possible this is mechanical damage from the t-stat popping, other? It hasn't been _that_ cold here here yet....maybe -1C overnight worst case and my boat is garage stored so I highly doubt this would be free damage yet but who knows.

Attachments

• photo322374.jpg
    photo322374.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Someone has been overly enthusiastic with a screwdriver and hammer, trying to get the old gasket off, at some point in the past.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This was my first thought as well, but I don't remember seeing this and it will be my 3rd season pulling the t-stat housing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed. A not very careful past mechanic. Just coat that gasket on both sides with Permatex Aviation and it will seal fine. I use a gasket scraper followed by a razor blade. PS you do not need to remove the stat to fill the engine with AF. Simply disconnect the top end of that big hose at the thermostat housing neck and fill till AF spurts out the thermostat housing neck and re connect hose, done!

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright, guess I am just losing my memory...if the consensus is that it was there.

Oh...nice tip about not removing the t-stat. After 3 seasons I have become exceedingly efficient removing the old gasket and cleaning with acetone. I wasn't sure if a bottom up fill would work from one of the hoses. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯