4.3 Volvo Penta Winterization

Boater27

Cadet
New owner of a 4.3 Volvo Penta. Question: When winterizing, do you have to remove the plug on the front of the intake, along with the block and manifold plugs, before adding coolant or will the antifreeze get into the intake? Thx

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, you drain everything. that means you pull the 5 plugs you mentioned, you also drain the large hose between the water pump and the thermostat housing as well as drain the hose from the power steering cooler to the raw water pump.

this and an oil change and the block is winterized. (doesnt include drive maintenance)

then if you want to add coolant, simply use a funnel thru the thermostat housing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that plug has to be removed, on the Vortec models, pre vortecs didn't need that done. If you want to use AF make sure it will protect to the lowest temp you will have.

The way to put af in the engine and manifolds:
Disconnect bottom end of big hose from thermo housing to circulation pump, that drains water that the block drains don't drain. Then, reconnect it and disconnect it at the top end. Now fill that hose till the AF spurts out of the thermo housing neck, reconnect hose, engine is full. No need to remove thermostat. Now after draining the exhaust manifolds, disconnect the hoses feeding them at the thermostat housing. Fill each one with AF till it runs out the exhaust housing on the transom mount. Reconnect hoses. Disconnect the hose going from the transom mount to your raw water pump (impeller) at the impeller housing. Hold it down to drain water out. Then put the outdrive down. Now fill that hose till the AF runs out the outdrive water intakes. Re connect hose to impeller housing. Finally, disconnect the hose from the impeller housing to the thermostat housing at the thermo housing and fill it with AF as well, then reconnect.

if you get down to close to zero, use -100 not -50 or -60, they get hard, at roughly 7--11 degrees above zero.

Last edited:

Boater27

Cadet
Thx Scott. It’s going to be a challenge to get at the plug (remove alternator) but I’ll give it a go.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes it’s a Vortec. The Vortec intake manifold has only 8 bolts whereas the pre Vortec has 12.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That drain on the Intake, gets missed by a lot of 1st time winterizers, but usually only once. Some so called Mechanics miss it too.

Boater27

Cadet
Just an update: when I winterized my boat I had a local marine mechanic walk me through the engine flushing just like they do at their shop. Anyway, we flushed the engine with clean water long enough for the engine to heat up and the thermostat open. Next, we drained all the fresh water from the block, manifolds and impeller pump hoses. We then ran 4 gallons of coolant through the muffs on the outdrive while simultaneously fogging the motor. The mechanic stated he forgot to pull the plug on the front of the intake. Today I slowly opened the intake plug and immediately the coolant we put in came leaking out. Bottom line, even though we forgot to drain the fresh water out the intake via the plug, the intake did get the coolant.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just an update: when I winterized my boat I had a local marine mechanic walk me through the engine flushing just like they do at their shop. Anyway, we flushed the engine with clean water long enough for the engine to heat up and the thermostat open. Next, we drained all the fresh water from the block, manifolds and impeller pump hoses. We then ran 4 gallons of coolant through the muffs on the outdrive while simultaneously fogging the motor. The mechanic stated he forgot to pull the plug on the front of the intake. Today I slowly opened the intake plug and immediately the coolant we put in came leaking out. Bottom line, even though we forgot to drain the fresh water out the intake via the plug, the intake did get the coolant.

did you test the AF that was remaining in the motor?

Boater27

Cadet

Boater27

Cadet
Yes, I also removed one of the engine block plugs and manifold plugs slightly and coolant ran out of them too.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Take a paper cup and drain some of the af into it. Then put it in the freezer to make sure the concentration is strong enough.