accelerator pump for 1993 4.3 volvo penta accelerator pump'

rperla

Seaman
Where is accelerator pump located, electronic fuel pump, 2 barrel carb, 4.3 1993 Volvo Penta? What symptoms if there is a problem with it? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Would help to know which 4.3 it is. Assuming its a carb motor so probably a GL something (A thru E).

If it is a carb, then the accelerator pump is part of the carb and is inside it
Electric fuel pump is mounted right after the fuel filter

Symptoms of bad accelerator pump, motor bogs or taking off, hard cold starts because no fuel is being pushed in

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Holley carb, the accelerator pump is in the bottom of the carb bowl.

rperla

Seaman
Thanks for your answers. I am doing a process of elimination to figure out why I had the carb rebuilt a few months ago, fuel pump and filter changed, anti syphon valve changed, it ran well for about 1 month. Then a week after the last run it wouldn't start unless I used quick start. no smell of gas in carb when I try to start from cold. Any other ideas what it could be? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Staff member
pull the carb apart and go thru it. if the correct holley gaskets (the blue ones) were used, they are re-usable. you could have debris in the accelerator pump circuit.

also, you could have an issue with the anti-siphon valve. if the bowl is empty when you pull it, then I would also check the anti-siphon valve

you should never need to use ether to start a gasoline engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
fuel pressure gauge. you should have between 4 and 7 psi

however seriously doubt its your fuel pump.