This timing is killing me, should be this hard

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay got the shunt, got the advance timing light. I warm up the engine, put in the shunt and leave the 12 volts off. Start engine and immediately dies and will not start. I'm new to this whole shunt thing so what in the world am i doing wrong? Timing should be easy! Its a 2000 5.7 GSi PEFS

alldodge

Staff member
put in the shunt and leave the 12 volts off

I'm seeing that you should have the EST distributor, and i this is the case, then you connect the shunt and connect the wire "to a 12V source"

The below pic is for a Merc and you don't have a shift interrupter, so just connect the lead to 12V

EST Timing.jpg

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In the for-adults only section i read this. I don’t want to damage anything. I have a new coil already and it wasn’t inexpensive
Is this not true?

NOTE:

The Alligator clip lead of the Initial Timing Connector must never be connected to a B+ source until after engine is started. This is necessary to avoid damage to the electronics of the ignition system.
When the B+ source is connected, the engine may reduce RPM. If engine stalls and must be restarted the lead to the B+ source must be disconnected.

alldodge

Staff member
Light bulb just went on, you have a EFI motor, so you shouldn't be using the shunt. There should be a connector on the distributor which goes to the ECM. The connector is not to be removed to install a shunt, the DLC connector is used to place the motor in base timing

You need a paper clip

Click image for larger version  Name:	VP EST timing.jpg Views:	1 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	10809661

Start motor and bring idle up to 1000 rpm
install paper clip
adjust timing
remove paper clip
motor should idle down

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Holy cow now i am confused. I have the TBI, The VP dealer near me looked up my serial number and said I need the shunt. Even printed me instructions, maybe i just leave the thing hoping its close.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had/have the same problem. There is conflicting info on how to time these TBI motors. Mine are GSIPEFS 2001 that I upgraded to 6.2 long blocks. I still haven't got these running....

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah the dealers are no help. They only want me to bring it in and charge me over $100 to check it. It may not even be wrong. I was hoping that someone on here had actually done it and could share. Should not be so bloody hard to just set the timing, right?

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was kind of hoping you got yours done, and could enlighten me. Lol! I am in Michigan and putting mine into storage, so I will be doing this in the spring March. Did you get yours to even start?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yep TBI motor , connect BLK and BLK/WHT at the diag. connection to get to base mod or you can use a scanner and do the same thing. set to 8deg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
usually with MPI the computer controls timing , all you do is drop the dist in with the rotor in a certain area, computer does the rest. TBI would use a normal dist that may require it to be put in base mode by a jumper or a scanner

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay so after vacation i will try the jumper. We are sure that won’t smoke my ECM? They don’t make those anymore.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I thought electronic ignition and fuel injection were supposed to make things easier?
I'm still doing mine like I did in 1972! Feeler gauge, dwell meter, timing light.