4 banger to v8 swap ???

The dudeis old

Recruit
I have a 1978 sea ray w/a double port exhaust on the outdrive .. but came with a 140 4cyl and one blocked off … question is can i put a v8 in there and what brands [ ford, chevy ,] would fit ???

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... One problem you'll have doin' that is, the drive's gear ratio is wrong,.....

Ya won't find a prop to handle the motor's rpms,....

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1978 sea ray w/a double port exhaust on the outdrive .. but came with a 140 4cyl and one blocked off … question is can i put a v8 in there and what brands [ ford, chevy ,] would fit ???

You've asked this same question twice in 2 different forums, in antique threads,.....

Cut it out,......

I gave you a thread of yer own to ask questions in,.....

What make, 'n model drive is on the boat now,..??..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, you can put a V8 in your boat. unbolt all the stuff from the pulley to the prop and bolt in a V8 and drive. most likely you have a 2.3 volvo and a 270 prop. while some parts of the drive would work, as Bondo stated, gearing would be wrong (among alot of other things)

I would recommend finding something like an AQ260 with a 280DP or an AQ271 with a 290DP drive.

Keep in mind your looking for something that would fit your AQ transom hole. as VP changed to a different drive style in the early 90's youre going to be looking at 30 year old parts.

best to sell the boat you have and buy the boat you want.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Don't try. Huge job.
Like Scott suggested, get a different boat with a bigger motor.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d take a guess that this isn’t the original engine ?