Steady tone alarm

Larson 240 Cabrio, Volvo Pinta 5,0 Gxi-J with a DPS-A outdrive. I am getting a steady tone alarm (not from any depth gauge) when I switch on the battery. No key in the ignition and engine not running. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

New problem that just started?

Start disconnecting stuff until the tone doesn't sound when the battery is switched on.

Disconnect first, then switch on, not the other way because something may be damaged while the doing the disconnects.

alldodge

Staff member
Check the CO detector if you have one

Is the boat docked in a slip?
If so look for the high water alarm

My CO2 detector is a Fireboy MODEL: CO SENTINEL MARINE CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM. It is self contained (it has its own alarm contained in the unit itself) and is functioning fine. The alarm module that is providing the continuous tone is the same alarm modual that provides the couple of beeps when switching on the ignition.

alldodge

Staff member
I don't have the Gxi-J series, only up to D and it list that the alarm only comes on for Exhaust over temp, high engine temp or low oil pressure.

These thoughts are coming from the gxi-d

It is powered by the ignition (purple wire). Something is applying power to the alarm prior to key being turned ON. Use a voltmeter and check power on the ignition wire (alternator, key switch, fuel pump relay).

If the fuel pump relay shorts closed it will back feed the ignition circuit. Pull the relay and it might stop

Thank you. I pulled every fuse and relay individually (from both the engine as well as my 12 volt fuse bank), turning the power off and then on as I went through them (I even pulled the main power cable from the bus on my 12 volt fuse panel and still the alarm). Good news is I am learning a ton, Bad news, steady tone is still there. There are a few things that have in-line fuses which I will try and isolate and see if that will do it. My boat is laid up, winterized and shrink wrapped so pending any more great suggestions, I see i will have to make a date with the Marine Electrician in the spring. Again, very much appreciate everyone's assistance

alldodge

Staff member
Don't have other thoughts, but a voltmeter is the only way I would know of tracing the power, need to trace from the horn. This is a Gxi-C/D and may be of help

gxi d.jpg

[FONT="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]OK, so in an effort to isolate the entire engine from the issue at hand,
I pulled the main harness plug and the jumper wire on the ignition with no effect. Went to pull the horn from under the dash and found an in line fuse (3 Amp) red wire that was buried in a cable clump unnoticed before, that is connected to a bus bar under the dash that has red on one side and black on the other. When I pulled that fuse the steady tone stopped. I then (with the fuse pulled) I tested all the dash switched items (lights, horn, wiper, depth sounder etc. as well as all cabin lights, head functions, blower, trim (outdrive and trim tabs), radio (FM and UHF), fire surpression system and everything works with this fuse pulled. So made some headway today which is great so any suggestions from here would be greatly appreciated. I tried following the red fused wire but as you can imagine there are a ton of wires and cables dropping from the dash into areas under the main cockpit.​
[/FONT]

alldodge

Staff member
Small font is hard to read

Engine harness pulled and alarm still ON - There is a switched/short to ground on the alarm negative side

Have a buss bar with red on one side and black on the other - This tells me it should be 2 buss bars and one is hot and other is ground.

Red wire feeding 3 amp fuse and when pulled alarm stops - Thinking this is something added by a prior owner because of a red wire and not purple. Purple means ignition and red is battery direct. So now I'm thinking high water alarm. Look for the float switch near the motor that is not attached to the hull but up a bit higher on bulkhead or stringer, could also be in cabin bilge

Sorry about the Font, hopefully this will be a higher font. I was thinking it was the same as your comment (An add on from previous owner. With the fuse pulled all bildge pumps work as well as the high water alarm float (also a steady alarm). I broke down and bought a line tracer off Amazon. So hopefully I will be able sort this out (If the winter weather holds off) soon. I am also thinking that it is some type of sensor/sender given the 3 Amp rating and because after trying all switches on the boat with the fuse pulled all switched functions worked.