External Oil Reservoir for SX Drive??

MNSubbie

Cadet
I am new to the Volvo Penta Community. Apologize if this topic has been discussed already.

Am used to Mercruisers, and those I've owned always had the external Oil Reservoir so the outdrive was plump full all the time. Water could not get in because the drive was already full.

So I really have 2 questions: a) Is there an aftermarket conversion kit for Volvo, so I could put an external tank on my unit?..and then; b) How about if I just fill the SX Drive way past what the dipstick says, and make it full?

Maybe I am crazy---------Any ideas or comments would help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The oil bottle on the Mer. was like a site glass on the old carbs.
You see any change then there's a problem.
No way did it keep the water out.

You might be able to adapt a bottle/reservoir for your drive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am new to the Volvo Penta Community. Apologize if this topic has been discussed already.

Am used to Mercruisers, and those I've owned always had the external Oil Reservoir so the outdrive was plump full all the time. Water could not get in because the drive was already full.

So I really have 2 questions: a) Is there an aftermarket conversion kit for Volvo, so I could put an external tank on my unit?..and then; b) How about if I just fill the SX Drive way past what the dipstick says, and make it full?

Maybe I am crazy---------Any ideas or comments would help

first, you are crazy - you own a boat.

next, there is no aftermarket conversion kit

lastly, if you fill it past full, when the oil expands it will blow past the seals.

so, follow the manual.

the remote oil reservoir on a Mercruiser isnt better. they have a tendency to clog up and give false readings.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How about if I just fill the SX Drive way past what the dipstick says, and make it full

There is a reason Volvo says not to overfill the drive. It allows for an Air Chamber to allow the oil to expand when it heats up. Filling the unit right up leaves no room for expansion and results in oil getting past the seals, and then when the oil cools and contracts, it can pull water back thru the weakened seal. Or it can push the seals out all together. A Reservoir will tell you when oil is being lost, but it can rarely tell you if water is in the gearcase. The Oil and Water have to mix and it will in the case, but there is no circulation between the case and the Reservoir

MNSubbie

Cadet
Thank you JerryJerry, Scott and Jimmbo. Appreciate all your comments.

As you might have suspected, the reason for my questions is that I am getting a little water in my drive after it sits in the water all summer. I did pressure and vacuum test it about a year ago, and all was well..........but the oil was milky now when I drained it for the winter.

I think the next step for me is to replace all the seals for the drain plugs and dipstick, and see if that eliminates my problem. Thx again for your help and advice

Thalasso

Commander
I change mine everytime without fail. If they come off/out a new 0-ring goes on. Period
Little water or just from condensation. (Hot drive cold water)

Water vapor from the the air inside a lower unit can/will condense so some water s to be expected in the LU oil especially if unchanged for an extended period.

Last edited:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Water vapor from the the air inside a lower unit can/will condense so some water s to be expected in the LU oil especially if unchanged for an extended period.

If you find water in the lower unit lube, you have a leak.

I don’t think that the one to two cubic inches of air that are in a filled SX drive could hold more than a drop of water.

MNSubbie

Cadet
I do appreciate everyone's input.

to be more specific..................when I drained my lower unit, there was no water that trickled out. Boat had been sitting for several weeks when I pulled the plug--------and what I am used to on all my other outboards and I/O's is that water will settle at the bottom and come out first when you pull the plug.

In my case, it didn't do that. But what came out was definitely a milky substance----looked like maybe a caramel or butterscotch malt that had melted. Even tho I didn't get the water by itself to come out, I interpreted the color to mean that water got in there somehow and mixed with my oil. When I put in my Delvac Synthetic is was semi-clear and a nice golden color (kinda like the color of my beer). But it changed over the summer and now was milky. So I assumed it had water in it, and even a little bit of water isn't good.

Hence the reason (and detail) for my inquiry