5.7 Gxi-C Remote Oil Filter Adapter

Redpony

Cadet
I have a VP 5.7 Gxi-C and recently changed my risers on both port and starboard sides after almost 14 years! I went from original VP to Barr risers. When I was finalizing torque (coming up to 28 foot lbs.) on the port side, my Remote Oil Filter Adapter (VP#3860450) cracked on the inboard side mounting tang. I recently purchased a new adapter, but was test fitting it and noticed that the large washer is underneath the outboard side per the installation pictures from Volvo Penta and it doesn't look flush to the riser. Can somebody offer some wisdom on installation of the Remote Oil Filter Adapter? What torque value you recommend? Any tips of advice? Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Merc calls for slight higher torque (33 ft lb) but in either case, things crack from the surfaces not being flat and flush with one another. Look at matting surfaces and see if things match exactly.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When installing a Remote Filter, just make sure you get the flow direction correct thru the Filter. I had the Dealer install one when I bought my Boat with a VP 5.7. After 100 hrs the engine sounded like it had Solid Lifters. Oil filter was barley above Body Temp, even though the engine had been running for a couple of hours. Took it in to dealer, told them what happened and told them I had a Theory, but would wait til they inspected it. Next day, they said they had crisscrossed the hoses. Engine was pooched but the Dealer got a new long block from VP, and I once again had the pleasure of doing another break-in

Redpony

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep the hoses marked before transferring to the new adapter. Any suggestions to making the remote adapter flush to the riser? There is only one thick washer on the outboard tang, none on the inboard side per VP installation drawing. How would you make it flush?

alldodge

Staff member
All depends on the surfaces, if there not flat with each other then a file or sander/grinder

Maybe post a pic of what your dealing with and we might be able to come up with a solution

Redpony

Cadet
Thanks AllDodge. I might take some clay and place it underneath to see what gap may exist. Filing the riser may be the only way to go. Hopefully I find a solution.