help identifying volvo penta outdrive

jet3john72

Recruit
Alright so I brought a boat, got a pretty good deal on it. Women alleged her husband had passed and she knew nothing of the boat.. Its been sitting for two years. I got it home checked the oil in the outdrive. Nothing on the dip stick. So I added oil to it, when I lifted the outdrive to trailer it, a lot of oil started pouring from the tow bellow. By the pictures you can see that its oil mixed with water and is milky. I know not good. So my question is without knowing how the boat ran in the water the last time, unknown from this point what condition its in. Should I A. rebuild, fix this issue, if so what am I looking at. Or B. should I just replace the outdrive.

Now as far as finding part that would be needed I am also trying to identify this outdrive. Its an 83 Bayliner 2450 305 or 350 engine. Volvo Penta outdrive The SSN on the drive is 28147633. So far I have not been able to find much about it online.

Attachments

• photo321383.jpg
    photo321383.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
An actual pic of the drive will tell what it is.
Depending on the horsepower, or if it has a 2bbl. or 4bbl carb
Does the motor say AQ225 is a 5.0 an AQ260 is a 5.7

Bayliner might still have the spec sheet on that boat??
Send them the hull ID# from the back of the boat.

jet3john72

Recruit
I have tried to upload pictures but this site wont let me. Motor not to much help, it only has 225D, and I have been told its a Chevy 305 or 350 engine in it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 225D is a 305 with a holley carb originally coupled to a 280 outdrive