Hooking up a diagnostic Tachometer to a 2000 5.7GSi PEFS?

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am struggling to find a way to hook up a diagnostic Tachometer. I need to hook to the negative of the coil but the conectors don't allow that. Is there a pigtail or something that you use> I want to set the initial timing and want to make sure the RPM's are accurate.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is this on a stand? Can you hook up a laptop running diacom or a scan tool?

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you were close to me in Michigan, I would come and help with my laptop.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you hook up a laptop? maybe I invest if it is not to expensive. Michigan is a bit far for me.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
You have to have rinda or mefiburn software first and with that it comes with adapters that will plug into the dlc port. And you can do lots of stuff including putting it into base timing mode. And it has an engine rpm and lots of other real time data.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am getting from this that the only way to use a tachometer on this engine is to buy $600-$800 software?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
So I am getting from this that the only way to use a tachometer on this engine is to buy $600-$800 software?

Not sure what type of “diagnostic” tachometer you have?
You can connect into the gray wire that runs from the coil to the back of the tachometer that’s on the dash anywhere that’s convenient. Or you can buy an adapter that plugs into the coil.

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Muc, I have an old Sears Engine Analyzer that i have used for years The adapter is exactly what I am looking for where can i get one? I do not want to strip or break the gray wire. That seems it would cause more issues.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Got mine off of the snap-on truck, many years ago.
If you can get the the back of the boat tach pretty easy, you could hook up there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use a paperclip if needed...... Its not rocket science

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You can hook up a tiny tach for pennies if it’s just rpm you want.