Volvo AQ 190 knocking noise

rmurray91

Recruit
So last camping trip my Volvo AQ 190 started making a knocking noise, feel it most with my hand towards the top drive. When i removed drive to replace ujoints and bellow which i thought was issue I briefly started the engine with no noise. Reinstalled drive after installing all new bellows and ujoints and still have this noise....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDiz30Fukw

other information
Fluid was full, no water or metal contamination that i can tell. Just sounds like something tapping in the case. Does it in neutral and in gear. Varies with rpm.

Was thinking next im going to have to split the drive and inspect the upper bearings and gearset?

Could this be exhaust flap chunks in the drive? Doesn't make sense because it sounds metallic.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sounds like input bearings or PDS bearing(s) if the u-joints are good

Pull the drive. Check PDS. If good, verify u-joints. Then pull input bearing carrier

rmurray91

Recruit
would it be possible for PDS to make no noise with drive disconnected since it's unloaded? This all started after extended days in water and the u joint bellow had a tear. Saw some grease at the edge of the metal piece around the PDS bearing. Is there a good write-up for PDS replacement?

rmurray91

Recruit
So to clarify i did see seal damage and grease sitting on the metal portion of the bell housing outside the boat. So maybe the knocking is the bearing due to connecting outdrive and having a load on it.

kenny nunez

Captain
You will have to pull the engine to replace the front bearing in the PDS housing. Pull the upper gearcase. Separate the engine from the flywheel housing at the 6 bolt flange, clean out the grease in the rear of the PDS housing to get access to the snap rings that retain the shaft and seal. The shaft should have a internal thread so that a slide hammer can be used to pull the shaft and rear bearing, the front bearing and seal can be pulled with a slide hammer with the internal claws. The bearings and seals are common and can be matched up at any bearing supply outlet. Be sure to coat the front of the PDS shaft with some heavy grease to keep it from rusting to the flex plate.