my 4.3 GXI-E

Karl H

Recruit
Similar problem on my 4.3 GXI-E. Cold start perfect and then runs perfectly, but after sitting for 15 min with a hot engine I need to throttle all the way up to get the engine to catch. A strong smell of gas. Plugs smell like gas and were fouled. The mechanic thought the injectors were leaking down (rail was losing pressure) and said that the excessive throttle needed to start was burning off the excess fuel in the cylinder from a leaky injector (s). So I replaced the injectors, replaced, the temp. sensor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, TPS etc. All with no results. The engine starts right up when cold and runs strong, just the problem with the hot restart. Diving me nuts! Only thing I can think io of is that I got a bad injector that is still leaking down in the new lot I bought.

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
How long does it sit after running when it starts hard?
Or does it start hard after just turning off and restart?

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would be wise to check fuel rail pressure and make sure that its not bleeding down when hot and that you're getting a pressure spike due to the fuel pump kicking in. However with plugs wet with gasoline it seems like there's something else wrong.

I'd check the dielectric grease under the ignition module (under the distributor cap). It can suffer a heat related fail if it cannot conduct heat into the aluminum base of the distributor. And the dielectric grease is the main conduit.