Did I just break my boat?!...

97Spirit

Cadet
I removed my VP SX outdrive, but didn't have it in forward gear, NOR did I disconnect the shifter cable. In my ignorance, I didn't know I had to until I got the outdrive partially removed and realized it was hung up on the cable. I disconnected the cable, got the outdrive off, and then noticed the shift control lever was all the way forward, I'm guessing from pulling the cable with the outdrive... It was in position "A" when I started the procedure and found it in position "F" when I finished. Did I just destroy all the mechanisms in the control assembly??? Please help...

Attachments

• 0176917_F2.jpg
    0176917_F2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
This needs to be in the VP section, GA_Boater if you could do the honors

Not a VP expert, but I've done the same thing with my Bravo drive, just getting complacent and forgetting. It didn't hurt anything, so probably you will be ok as well. After GA moves it, some other guys will be along

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Pretty sure you will be ok. You must have gave it a fair old pull to do that though. Haha. I’d bet on you being ok with the VP set up.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I think you`ll be ok. Just put the throttle and drive back in the neutral positions when re-installing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like pulling the drive off with the cable attached shifted the control into fwd. Just remember for next time....remove cover...disconnect linkage...measure where the adjusting nut was first to be able to get it back to close to the way it was.

97Spirit

Cadet
Update! Turns out i DID break it... The plastic anchor that holds the "barrel" on the shifter cable blew apart, so now instead of shifting, the control lever is just taking up the slack off the long 'sleeve' that runs to the back of the boat. Tough little piece to find, looks like on OMC BRP part# 0126026 and 0126025??? Anyone had to replace these before?