Engine and outdrive out of boat repair and refresh

TinTexas

Cadet
I’m getting ready to start a renovation on my 94 Larson with a 3.0 stern drive. I’ll be pulling the engine and outdrive as I need to replace the stringers and transom and was looking for some advice on what I should be looking at in terms of proactive engine repairs while it’s out of the boat and on the stand. The boat has been sitting for several years but ran fine the last time it was out so I think the engine itself is probably fine, but I’d like to replace the likely to break parts while they’re easier to get to. I’m thinking of common failures like fuel pump, starter, alternator, water pump etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

oneboat

Cadet
i have a 96 Larson and while some parts are still serviceable with engine in like starter , fuel pump , alternator and even water pump. i needed to change the oil pan with engine out ( it was rusted due to water in the bilge and i didn't want oil leak ) or if it looks good you might want to paint the oil pan for extra protection. . check risers and exhaust for rust - you can do this later too . Also i will check/replace the y pipe gasket to the stern

I think you should put in your post what kind of engine you have . mine was a VP 5.7.
Cheers