2006 v/p 5.7 GI-E alarm sounding, power restriction/ limp mode

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello all, i am having a problem with this boat, originally it would not start and i found no fuel pressure from HP pump., further investigation found the harness side of the f/p connector had the 2 wires bare for the 1st 1/4" out of the connector and intemittently would make a poor connection, not to mention possibly shorting out on 1 another. , so replaced the connector and f/p now works but thepressure was over 80PSI, i pulled the regulator and the filter screen was resticted,(fuel pump assembly replaced a few years back and most likely the cause if its failure) i pulled the screen and installed the E clip as listed in the service bulletin, now proper f/p of 55PSI is restored, now, out on the water running @ 3/4 to full throttle, the alarm starts sounding and the engine kicks into limp mode, with a sudden drastic reduction of speed. the 1st time, it nearly sent me flying into the windshield. anyway, the alarm keeps sounding and the engne stays in power restricion mode until the engine is shut down and restarted.
Rinda scanner shows 1 code for general alarm( no ****) but while in restriction mode, it has a code for engine shutdown/emergency stop.
all the perameters on the scanner look to be in proper range and the gauges read fine. fuel presure gauge reads steady 55psi, the dash tach is not acting right and starts off @ 2K even @ idle or key off. but this has been a long time problem.i even disconnected the tach, even though i know it is mearly a receiving device, i wanted to eliminate any possibility of the tach sshorting out and the computer thinkling it is over reving but no such luck. i am stumped on this one guys.

alldodge

Staff member
Disconnect the tach at the tach at the helm

What version software do you have on Rinda? Wondering if it needs to be updated

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Serial number?
Have you recorded a file you can post?

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
tach is disconnected at the helm, since it is EFI, i don't think it possible to disconnect fro mthe engine itself without cutting a wire.

serial # is 402106978

"That is some tough reading." you think it was tough reading, try writing it ,lol
sorry for the confusion, i just wanted to get as much info out there at once

muc

No Individual Product found
Unit not found.

Have you recorded a file you can post?

alldodge

Staff member
My guess is you have the techmate (Merc) so it won't record. When techmate is first turned on there should be a version number listed, what is it?

Even with the techmate it should show what is causing the alarm to go off and power reduction. If you need the user manual it can be found at Rinda

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My guess is you have the techmate (Merc) so it won't record. When techmate is first turned on there should be a version number listed, what is it?

Even with the techmate it should show what is causing the alarm to go off and power reduction. If you need the user manual it can be found at Rinda

the rhinda is not tellng me what is causing the alarm other than when i check for codes, it say general alarm as 1 code and the second code is "engine shutdown'/emergency stop.
the 2nd code goes away when the engine is shut down and restarted.

i will have to check on the version, i don't have a boat nearby to plug it into to power it up right now. i do know the tool is new, purchased july 2018 from rhinda directly

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 2018, then the SW should be up to date. My brain may be working a bit better this AM and realized this is a MEFI-3 motor. The MEFI-3 has solid (constant) alarms which do not leave a code which are

Low oil pressure, Over heat, Low drive lube (General warning 1), or high transmission temp (general warning 2). Also if voltage is below 9V at the ECM for 5 seconds and above 3000 rpm

If its the oil pressure switch or drive lube is the issue, just disconnect the leads and try a run

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Being a 2018, then the SW should be up to date. My brain may be working a bit better this AM and realized this is a MEFI-3 motor. The MEFI-3 has solid (constant) alarms which do not leave a code which are

Low oil pressure, Over heat, Low drive lube (General warning 1), or high transmission temp (general warning 2). Also if voltage is below 9V at the ECM for 5 seconds and above 3000 rpm

If its the oil pressure switch or drive lube is the issue, just disconnect the leads and try a run

where is the drive lube sensor? i didn't know V/P had lube monitor.
and it is general warning 1, when the alarm is sounding, that monitor is reading active or something like that.
this boat has an SX-M dual prop drive

alldodge

Staff member
Being a VP you won't have a lube bottle. Also a note I'm mainly looking at Merc and have some VP but not a lot. That said; the MEFI is the same just some codes/flags are turned on or off by each builder

muc

With a MEFI Volvo, general warning 1 is only looking at specific inputs.
The symptoms the O.P. Is reporting are not consistent with the controller that a 5.7Gi-E should have on it.
Really need a valid serial number or it’s all just guessing.

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
With a MEFI Volvo, general warning 1 is only looking at specific inputs.
The symptoms the O.P. Is reporting are not consistent with the controller that a 5.7Gi-E should have on it.
Really need a valid serial number or it’s all just guessing.

im not sure what your saying/asking. i listed the serial # of the engine. are you saying the information i am giving is not true? or that i cant get these symptoms from this engine?

ok, i just looked atthe posts above, the other #'s on the engine tag are 3869258

muc

I'm saying the serial number you posted is not recognized by Volvo, They don't think they ever built a engine with that serial number. I use their data base to determine what program is in the ECM. I can sometimes do that with the product number 3869258. But the serial number is a lot less work for me and a lot more accurate. Even with a S/N a 5.7Gi-E is hard because it's a "in- between " engine. Why don't you double check the serial number and get back to me.

One of the issues I have is a general warning #1 that doesn't clear below 1200 RPM.
And there should be no "code" for E-stop
Maybe take some photos of the screens that have this info. Maybe take a picture of the serial number plate, or I can search by HIN or drive/TSK serial number.

muc

One other question. Does the trim gauge work?

muc

Thanks for the serial number, the one you posted earlier was missing one digit.
The ECM on this engine was replaced in 2006 under warranty. IAC driver failure. So not 100% sure on what you have, here's my best guesses.

General warning #1 should be for the exhaust manifold temperature. There are 2 temp switches --one on each riser. If you are over temp at the exhaust manifold or one of the switches is bad or if one of the wires gets shorted to ground. It will put the engine into power reduction. But this should only happen when RPMs go over 2500 and should go back to normal once RPMs go below 1200.

Volvo used a couple of different temp senders in the risers. The one that we had the most trouble with can be identified by removing the wire going to it and looking at the end of the threaded stud the wire slides over, if the end of the stud has a slot cut in it. Those should be replaced.

The reason I asked about the trim gauge. This engine was equipped so it could be used as a replacement for a MerCruiser Alpha engine. So it has a connector in the wiring harness for shift interrupt. Trouble is that that connector looks the same as the trim sender connector and people sometimes plug the trim sender into it. This can cause some weird problems. Might want to check that.

There is no shutdown/emergency stop "code" that I'm aware of. Is it possible you might be looking at a screen that is telling you that feature is available and enabled in the ECM?

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the serial number, the one you posted earlier was missing one digit.
The ECM on this engine was replaced in 2006 under warranty. IAC driver failure. So not 100% sure on what you have, here's my best guesses.

General warning #1 should be for the exhaust manifold temperature. There are 2 temp switches --one on each riser. If you are over temp at the exhaust manifold or one of the switches is bad or if one of the wires gets shorted to ground. It will put the engine into power reduction. But this should only happen when RPMs go over 2500 and should go back to normal once RPMs go below 1200.

Volvo used a couple of different temp senders in the risers. The one that we had the most trouble with can be identified by removing the wire going to it and looking at the end of the threaded stud the wire slides over, if the end of the stud has a slot cut in it. Those should be replaced.

The reason I asked about the trim gauge. This engine was equipped so it could be used as a replacement for a MerCruiser Alpha engine. So it has a connector in the wiring harness for shift interrupt. Trouble is that that connector looks the same as the trim sender connector and people sometimes plug the trim sender into it. This can cause some weird problems. Might want to check that.

There is no shutdown/emergency stop "code" that I'm aware of. Is it possible you might be looking at a screen that is telling you that feature is available and enabled in the ECM?

well, you gave me some real good info, actually the temp sensors on the manifolds are the issue, we unpluged them and the boat ran balls out for over 1/2 hr with no problem, i will check to see which sensors are on it,

as for the shutdown code, yes, when it was active, and read codes, it says 2 codes found. 1 being general alarm and the other being emergancy shutdown. so i dont know what is up with that. anyway, i will check the sensors and order up new ones. thank you for the follow through