Coupler Help Needed

boat rooky

Recruit
talking about couplers! I recently bought a 1986 bayliner capri cuddy 5.0 without an engine and it had the outdrive that is a volvo penta 275 at low price and a automotive mechanic friend told me about a mercruise 5.7 engine that was also selling at a good price and the block was similar to the supposed engine that I had it before (5.0) so I took the opportunity. When trying to install it, the coupler did not assemble,I order another one with the info I had and also don't assemble, I am new to all this and I have been trying to find it but with so much info it is very confusing at the same time but I will not give up, the next step that we did is count the splines and measure the shaft diameter (26 splines, 1 1/4 diam) and what I found with the info of the outdrive and 26 splines Engine Vibration Dampener couplers at this point I am confused if someone can guide me or maybe the Question is if the engine is compatible with the outdrive as my friend says, or how to know exactly what is the original boat engine etc ... if someone can guide me I would appreciate it!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Volvo and Merc use the same base engine from GM, but that's where the similarity ends.

They use their own transom assemblies and drives, and they're not interchangeable/compatible in any way. Even the fuel, ignition, cooling and exhaust systems are completely different ..

Chris...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 80's Volvo used a light duty block and crank.
It needed a special flywheel to have the crank work.
The coupler is way different to.

The coupler #14 (pic #2)is what you need for the
Volvo. Mercruiser(pic #1) is way different.
The block itself will probably match the bellhousing but that's probably the only thing that will??

4usQzK4kAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Crankshaft And Related Parts: D - Crankshaft And Related Parts: D

Bondo

Staff member
or maybe the Question is if the engine is compatible with the outdrive as my friend says, or how to know exactly what is the original boat engine etc ...

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... As achris says,.... Only the basic Long Block, is the same 'tween the original motor, 'n the Merc motor yer tryin' to stuff in there,.....

All of the stuff bolted to the basic Long Block is different,.....
If you could find the old motor, you'd be miles ahead, provided the accessory parts are salvageable,.....
Or,.....
Find a serviceable copy of the original motor,.....

'n I think what Jerry is gettin' at is,.....
The older Volvos ran the 12" flywheel, 'n related parts,....
Merc has generally always run the 14" flywheel, 'n related parts,.....
Other than the 3.0ls that used the 12" flywheel,....