V-P 5.0 GXiB Belt Tensioner Issue

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To release pressure on the serpentine belt for removal, I used a 3/8” ratchet in the square hole on the belt tensioner that’s designed to facilitate rotating the tensioner for belt removal. During that process, the metal flange in which the square hole is stamped broke before I could get the belt removed. Since I could no longer use the ratchet to rotate the belt tensioner, I pushed down on the top of the belt tensioner to relieve the pressure on the belt and was able to remove it.

It appears the only damage done was the broken metal surrounding the square hole. This is my first time removing a serpentine belt. What is the best way to raise the belt tensioner when I want to reinstall the serpentine belt? If I have to replace the belt tensioner assembly, is there any exotic to that?

alldodge

Staff member
That is unusual for it to break, and the install/removal just uses the square drive hole. I would do it the same way with the new tensioner

The tensioner only moves so far, so once it stops moving don't move any further, and just install/remove the belt

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I did buy a new belt tensioner. The original one was 17 years old and very difficult to move. I could move the new one with ease. Removal of the old and installation of the new tensioner was an easy one-bolt operation.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Boat life is about 3-1 , dog 7-1
So 17X3 =51 years in a very humid environment.
I'd be pretty stiff too :)
Then if it's salt water?? add about 29 more.