1985 Bayliner with 5.0L Volvo *help im new*

I have a 1985 Bayliner Trophy with a 5.0l Volvo motor and a volvo penta outdrive.

is it possible to motor swap for the v6 mercruiser or what options do i have?

Do i NEED the same motor? Cause they are like 1800 for a USED one lol.

Im new to this whole boating restoration thing and i dont wanna give up on this boat ive already done so much work to. Some advice would be awesome!

I need a newer engine in this thing...

Attachments

• photo320348.jpg
    photo320348.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 0
  • photo320349.jpg
    photo320349.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 0
Can you convert from a Volvo 5.0L to another motor?

I have a 1985 bayliner with a 5.0L Volvo i believe and a Volvo Penta outdrive , motor is trash was wondering if there is ant engines i can do a conversion with? Smaller or cheaper. Lol a used volvo penta with everything is 1800$ thats a little pricey

thanks in advance for any advice

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You can replace that old 5.0 with a 4.3 very easily. Should be the same mounts.
If it’s a 4 barrel 4.3 there won’t be too much loss in power either.
Only thing in my head is if the VP 5.0 has a belt driven water pump ?? The 4.3 usually won’t unless it is another VP 4.3 from a 290 dp or similar. Often called a AQ205 or a 431
I also wouldn’t think it too hard to get another 5.0 or 5.7 cheap enough either ??

The motor with all the parts the exhaust manifolds, alternator starter all that stuff is like 1600 on ebay
unless you know of anywhere to shop online for boat motors?

also the 4.3 you are talking about is a mercruiser?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The motor with all the parts the exhaust manifolds, alternator starter all that stuff is like 1600 on ebay
unless you know of anywhere to shop online for boat motors?

also the 4.3 you are talking about is a mercruiser?

Both merc and vp are the same basic engines. The vp 4.3 more chance of having a belt driven pump. If it is a merc branded 4.3. Pretty much no chance it will have a belt driven pump (raw water). They are almost always driving an alpha or similar.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Location???
Fill out the profile, signature.
You might be close to someone who can help?

I saw a 24 Bayliner with a V-6 Volvo for 750$ in Fl.
That's the complete boat, running. No trailer.

Look around the deals are out there.

Location???
Fill out the profile, signature.
You might be close to someone who can help?

I saw a 24 Bayliner with a V-6 Volvo for 750$ in Fl.
That's the complete boat, running. No trailer.

Look around the deals are out there.

where was this at? do you still remember where the post was? im in jax, florida

Does anyone have an email or something I can send them some pictures of this motor to? I need some opinions

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That 5.0L will work but who the heck knows anything about it until you do all the work to jam it down in the hold and then you start it to find there's a hole in the head. The exhaust manifolds & risers on the CL motor are not the same so it will be full cobble mode to get the exhaust piped.

My free opinion is for the exhaust casting to get that rotten it has to be used in raw saltwater with no heat exchanger.

The base engine is a GM truck engine, 4.3, 5.0, 5.7L (262, 305, 350 cid respectively) are all part of the same family of components, all 90 degree V engines, all share the same bolt patterns, and connections on the rear of the block. They can run brass core plugs, carbureted fuel systems, and you can run a small-cap HEI distributor from something like a 1991 truck that will control all your ignition operations with a basic ignition module. But this is the easy part. There are a myriad of other components that are going to have to be renewed or restored, fabricated etc. Imo that's going to be equally as challenging as finding a new-er long block.