Starting Issue 5.0 GXI

Ironman888

Cadet
My 2001 5.0 GXI-B has a slight starting issue. On a cold start I turn the key to the on position, let the pump prime, let it beep twice and it fires right up. Once the boat warms up it sometimes has difficulty starting when I repeat those exact steps, however, if I turn the key straight over without pausing it fires right up without issue.

I was thinking it might be a flooding condition where the pump was sending too much gas, but my local mechanical thinks it could be a sign of the fuel pump starting to fail. He suggested that I check the fuel pressure in different scenarios and see if it’s too low. The pump was replaced by the previous owner in the last few years and it is an OEM replacement.

I was also wondering if it might be related to the IAC since I sometimes notice it bog down for a second when I pull back the throttle really quick. The boat performs well at all throttle ranges other than the above items. Just figured I would throw it out there to see if anyone else has had a similar issue or additional input.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While I did not have starting issues, I did have a 'bog down' upon pulling back. Actually would stall. The shop replaced the IAC but still had the issue. I finally found the issue was 'belt dust' on the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. It's easy to pull the MAP to check it out. If it has crap all over it, clean it up (or replace) and then see the post about "Black Dust and Rusty Pulley".

Other thoughts are the pump failing due to inside paint peeling and clogging it up, etc. You can get an OTC 5630 Fuel Pressure Test Kit for about $30. It will fit on both the high and low pressure Schrader valve with the include adaptor. Pressure on high end should be 50 to 60 PSI and low end about 10 to 20. Check out this link on you tube for how to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REsLfKrnW18

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited: