AQ270 Dipstick question

ljs22

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to bring an old AQ140 / AQ 270 combo back to life. When I took the dipstick out of the top of the 270 drive it was way too short. About 3 inches long. If this stick broke off somehow inside the housing where would the other piece end up? I don't want to just replace the stick if there is a chunk of the old one floating around in a gear case somewhere. Right now I am trying to verify if this drive is worth putting money into or if it needs to be replaced. This drive train has not been used since 2006. Everything shifts and spins as expected but I have not started the engine yet.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Remove the back cover, upper right corner is an allen head plug.
That's the fill, and can be used also to check the level.
Then compare the length of the dip stick to the depth of the plug.

See if the dip stick is regular metal that can be picked up with a magnet?
If the dip stick the wrong size, try to put the magnet down the hole?
Or remove the cover and try finding the piece??

The screws need to be torqued when replacing the cover.

ljs22

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know how long the OEM dipstick is and how far the flat spot extends up the shaft? I can recreate the dipstick for a lot less then the $75 going price.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pics??

If the end of the dip stick is flat??
Then it might not be broken??

Take a pic of the dip stick next to the top of the housing.
Remove the back cover so we can see the fill hole.
Does the ds reach the fill hole?

ljs22

Seaman Apprentice
The end is not flat. I don't have access to it right now for pics but I can assure you it is way shorter then it should be. Looking at the exploded diagram of an AQ270 if you filled it all the way to the upper fill hole it would be way too full. The dipstick seems to go almost to the bottom of the housing. That would be a good 3-4 inches below that fill hole. Is there anyone who can measure their AQ series dipstick and let me know the lengths?

ljs22

Seaman Apprentice
Never mind. After looking at the correct diagram I see the filler hole is in the intermediate housing. This is way more complicated then the Mercruisers I am used to.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know how long the OEM dipstick is and how far the flat spot extends up the shaft? I can recreate the dipstick for a lot less then the $75 going price.

I can get accurate info tomorrow, but it's about 6 inches long, with the bottom 1 inch having the full marking.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Here is a picture. The brown reed points to the spot where the dipstick changes from round to D-shaped

Attachments

• photo319163.jpg
    photo319163.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 0