Motor wont start suspect ECU needs replacing ?

CORDY

Recruit
Hello I'm writing on behalf of a friend who's been told by his French boat yard that his fourwinns day cruiser is not fixable Following a flat battery, the cables were crossed when jump starting. Smoke and flame observed.
Before giving up I thought I would try this forum to see if anybody can help with the following questions.
The Ecu unit is apparently broken.
1) Can the ECU be tested ? Might a Volvo penta agent have a test rig?
2) Is there a diagnostic connection?
3) Does the ECU hold a memory of problems?
4)What other components could have been damaged and might they harm a new ECU if we replace it?
5)What manual would you recommend?

Year of boat 1998
Engine Volvo penta 4.3di

CORDY

Recruit
I should that the motor engine turns over perfectly well with the starter but wont fire

CORDY

Recruit
Hello
Thanks very much for your message Alas we are in France but as you've told me that ECUs can be tested , I'll check out here if it's possible

CORDY

Recruit
Great thanks I will send your link over to my friend . This could be a cheaper solution depending on shipment to the US

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I would also replace the ignition module in the distributor base. Its something key to the ignition operation and although I have never crossed the wires myself, it seems like something that could get screwed up in that scenario.

An easy test would be to check spark. If there is no spark then that module is high on the list as a source of that trouble.