Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas leaking out through exhaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gas leaking out through exhaust

    2004 GXi 5.0L with SX drive. Gas is leaking from outdrive while running. It's coming out with the fresh water. I've pulled the fuel pressure regulator and it was contaminated, but not totally blocked (at least I don't think so). I ordered the e-clip to replace the screen as instructed by VP. I've tried checking for issues at the injectors by attempting a drop test by disconnecting the connectors one at a time to see if one is clogged, but after going through several of them, it is very difficult to notice any change in idle. Even pulling the plug wires one at a time makes no discernible difference. AM I not doing it right? Does the engine need to warm up first? I figured the idle would drop a noticeable amount. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough? Can someone tell me how to do this properly? Thanks!
    2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

  • #2
    Depending on which GXi it probably uses batch firing. Batch firing turns on more then one injector at a time. While each cylinder has its own injector, it doesn't get turned ON only when the cylinder needs fuel.

    With fuel coming out with the water, I would check fuel pressure first, and it could also be that the injectors are stuck turned ON and do not turn OFF. If you get a noid light you can test injectors to see if they are turning ON/OFF
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
      Depending on which GXi it probably uses batch firing. Batch firing turns on more then one injector at a time. While each cylinder has its own injector, it doesn't get turned ON only when the cylinder needs fuel.

      With fuel coming out with the water, I would check fuel pressure first, and it could also be that the injectors are stuck turned ON and do not turn OFF. If you get a noid light you can test injectors to see if they are turning ON/OFF
      The noid light will just check the signal though, correct? Will it tell me if the injector is stuck open? And if so, how do I check that? Thanks!
      2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

      Comment


      • #4
        if the pressure regulator has ruptured, it will suck fuel into the intake through the vaccum line., pll the line off and shake it, see if fuel comes out.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chs marine service View Post
          if the pressure regulator has ruptured, it will suck fuel into the intake through the vaccum line., pll the line off and shake it, see if fuel comes out.
          I pulled it and nothing came out. Should I replace the regulator any way, or is replacing the screen with the e-clip good enough? Bosch regulators are $30 on Amazon.
          2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rmurray View Post

            The noid light will just check the signal though, correct? Will it tell me if the injector is stuck open? And if so, how do I check that? Thanks!
            Correct, just listing possibilities
            The vacuum line shake the chs mentioned would be a good thing to check also
            94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
            95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
            07 Seadoo GTX
            Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
            G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AllDodge View Post

              Correct, just listing possibilities
              The vacuum line shake the chs mentioned would be a good thing to check also
              Maybe I'll run it again and see if any gas comes out. I should pull it after running for a few minutes? So if an injector is stuck open, will the noid light help me identify that? Will the injector signal be different in that case? Thanks.
              2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rmurray View Post

                I pulled it and nothing came out. Should I replace the regulator any way, or is replacing the screen with the e-clip good enough? Bosch regulators are $30 on Amazon.
                Start the motor and if the diaphragm is ruptured fuel will start coming out with the motor running
                94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                07 Seadoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AllDodge View Post

                  Start the motor and if the diaphragm is ruptured fuel will start coming out with the motor running
                  No fuel coming out, only air. Regulator doesn't appear to be ruptured.
                  2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rmurray View Post

                    Maybe I'll run it again and see if any gas comes out. I should pull it after running for a few minutes? So if an injector is stuck open, will the noid light help me identify that? Will the injector signal be different in that case? Thanks.
                    If there is no flashes then the ECM is the issue. If you see flashes then the injector(s) may be stuck.

                    Can pull the injectors and have them flow tested. Cost is 15 to 20 for each, and needs to be tested (if done) to 6000 rpms. Use a marine test facility and not an auto one

                    Which GXi do you have? This will help advise better as how your motor is configured
                    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                    07 Seadoo GTX
                    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by alldodge View Post

                      if there is no flashes then the ecm is the issue. If you see flashes then the injector(s) may be stuck.

                      Can pull the injectors and have them flow tested. Cost is 15 to 20 for each, and needs to be tested (if done) to 6000 rpms. Use a marine test facility and not an auto one

                      which gxi do you have? This will help advise better as how your motor is configured
                      2004 5.0l gxi-e. I think I can hear all the injectors ticking. I should probably use a screw driver to the ear to check the clicks?
                      2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Don't know, if you can your ears are better then mine
                        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                        07 Seadoo GTX
                        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Presure test the raw water side of the fuel cooler

                          Fuel pressure higher than water pressure.
                          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

                          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

                          Past Boats
                          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

                          What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi
                            i have the mercury equivalent of this engine. Mine will throw fuel out the exhausts until it warms up. They over fuel when cold usually. It also gets worse when the diz cap is on its way to being done.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                              Presure test the raw water side of the fuel cooler

                              Fuel pressure higher than water pressure.
                              Scott, can you elaborate? What would cause that? Thanks.
                              2004 Regal 2000 5.0L GXi

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X