Carburetor replacement 1993 4.3 Volvo penta

rjward

Cadet
I have a 1993 Cobalt 198 with a Volvo penta 432 4.3L
I am needing a new carburetor the current one has a pin hole that squirts gas up in to the fuel bowl above the accelerator pump. Looks like a small speck but full comes up when you open the carburetor. Noticed it while cleaning carburetor and pushed the accelerator. It has a holley r82030 carburetor. I saw Holley has a marine avenger that is 500 cfm. Would this be a good replacement?
Volvo 432A868605
Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

every part on your holley carb is available as a replacement part. why not simply replace the one part that needs to be replaced? a new fuel bowl is about $35 (under $80 for both bowls, gaskets, screws, etc.)

stock holley 4-barrels on 4.3's were 600 CFM

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If it is a 2bbl on your engine, it would be the 500 cfm. If the accelerator pump is pushing fuel back into the fuel bowl, its Check Valve is either missing or damaged. Some Holleys use a small ball for this, others use a rubber valve.
New Holley Carbs, even the 2bbls, are not inexpensive. As Scott mentioned, a new Bowl if needed, can be bought for quite a bit less

rjward

Cadet
This is the spot that the fuel is squirting out. I haven't had any luck finding parts.
If I can't get parts for it would a Holley marine avenger 500 cfm be a good replacement? Would rather not get a new intake and 4 barrel carburetor. I have never tried a adapter to go from 2 to 4 barrel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the holley 2300 2-barrel uses many of the same parts from the 4150 series 4-barrel.

call holley's tech line.... they answer the phone. you can buy from them directly.

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its not a 100% guarantee but some 2 part epoxy can solve problems where liquid not-under-pressure is simply dripping/leaking out via its level. Clean the part with brake cleaner, blow dry with compressed air and try the epoxy (JB weld or others). It could solve your issue with minimum risk.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Don't waste your money on a 4bbl on a 4.3. The 500 cfm is already more carb than it needs, to spin at 6000 rpm(way above the WOT range of that engine)

The Holley # you provided, 82030, doesn't show on my Holley charts.

Holley should be able to supply a fuel bowl for that engine 1-866-464-6553

If not, I would try the JB Weld repair

rjward

Cadet
I will give jb weld a chance. I won't be out much. Then again everyone.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
rough up the surface around the pinhole to give the Epoxy a better grip