5.7Gsi start with no outdrive?

ChrisCraftFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to get the engine running and set the timing while i wait on part
s for the outdrive. I do not know what the coupler looks like so i don’t know if there are any issues running the motor with no drive attached. Any issues with doin that?

I have hooked up the blue connector so I can hook up to the hose for raw water supply. Just wanted to make sure i don’t mess something up running it.

Thanks in advance
Phil

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It'll be fine so long as yer supplin' water to the raw water pump,....

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agreed, and also depending on the state of assembly, you could "jump" the lakewater pump on the crankshaft and supply garden-hose water direct to the hose that supplies the thermostat housing from below.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
hook garden hose directly to the inlet of the raw water pump.

or shove end of garden hose into the raw water hose hanging off the transom shield and duct tape in place.

Bondo

Staff member
Agreed, and also depending on the state of assembly, you could "jump" the lakewater pump on the crankshaft and supply garden-hose water direct to the hose that supplies the thermostat housing from below.

Ayuh,...... I "Think" that will cause the raw water pump to run dry, which burns up the rubber impeller,......

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,...... I "Think" that will cause the raw water pump to run dry, which burns up the rubber impeller,......

Yes...very very good point. I was thinking that was a potential route if the lakewater pump was not yet even assembled and it was desired to test the base engine before a lot more assembly work took place, however I did not state that thought :)