VP 5.0 GXI-E intermittent starting issues

tonybartol

Recruit
So out on the water and the boat just Shut off on me, seemed to be related to electrical, starter, ignition switch something like that. Started back up for a couple of minutes and shut down again. Both times just cruising slowly on calm water. Towed back in and now starts up randomly and shuts down randomly. Mechanic just so happened to be out a few days after (different issue) and diagnosed it as a bad starter. Just don’t think this is the case because I’ve got a few “jumpy” gauges and recently had issues with the trim not working. Randomly not trimming, but wiggling throttle around I could get it to trim usually. I went through the ignition checklist found on this forum and pretty much everything checked out besides one terminal on the ignition, don’t know what it does really, didn’t match the diagram I had. Wondering if this is all related to the ignition switch or neutral safety switch or wiring tied into the throttle. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Just don’t think this is the case because I’ve got a few “jumpy” gauges and recently had issues with the trim not working. Randomly not trimming, but wiggling throttle around I could get it to trim usually.

Corrosion or loose connection

Start with the battery cables (both ground and hot) and remove both ends (including ground block and starter post). Try to look under the insulation jacket to see if corrosion is under it. Clean those connections to shinny metal, and also the other cables that attach to those points.

Pull the 10 pin engine connector and see if those pins fit tight and they are clean. Check connections on the 50 amp breaker on the motor. If this hasn't fix the issue, look under the helm and clean inspect those connections. Check key switch with a voltmeter to see if when key is wiggled, power doesn't fluctuate

tonybartol

Recruit
Thanks for the reply, I will try these things and check the connections. Hopefully just some corrosion or a loose connection somewhere.

tonybartol

Recruit
So I noticed there is no struggle to start the boat but for a split second after it turns over the starter is still cranking. Again, indication of a bad starter or a connection, possibly either?