Outdrive swap.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A buddy of mine bought a 2005 CC 28 with twin 230hp diesels coupled to jack shafts. Supposedly both motors and out drives were rebuilt and had less than 100 hours. Long story short both the broker and surveyor lied. Motors and outdrives were never touched. He is now looking at bad injectors and turbos. Even worse both drives are toasted. Volvo told him those drives are no longer made and new ones are $14,000.00 each. He asked if he could swap the drives with Merc Cruisers. I think it can be done because the drive couples to a jack shaft not the motors themselves. Can this be done? What Merc Cruiser drives would be needed?
Thanks in advance,
Barry

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First.....what are you starting with..... What drives are there

I can still get reman'd drives for my 32 year old VP drive

to swap to Mercruiser, you basically unbolt everything. (motor and drive) and bolt in.

However instead of throwing out the baby with the bath water, lets start by what is wrong with what your starting with and go from there.

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my buddy went searching on the net. he found a re-builder in Florida who basically said someone was leading him down a garden path.They will be shipping 2 rebuilt out-drives on Monday for $6500.00 each. Thank you for the help