5.0 engine swap

I have a 1996 Criss craft with a 5.0 and a Volvo Penta sx cobra 3868413 outdrive, my motor needs replaced, can I swap with a 5.8 engine using this outdrive?

kenny nunez

Captain
If the 5.0 is a Ford engine the only things to be sure about is to use the correct balance flywheel. The 5.0 distributor will have a different oil pump shaft. The exhaust manifolds will bolt up. Is the 5.8 a marine engine with brass core plugs? You will need a marine distributor and carburetor. The fuel pump should fit from the 5.0.
Post a picture of what you have and what you plan on using .

What happened is, I took the boat to a marine, told them to do whatever it takes to make sure boat is good for a week vacation on the lake. After one time skiing, the boat basically caught on fire.
come to find out he did everything except change sea water pump!!!!
So,,, I am going to change it motor, andwantto get A little more hp. Thinking I could throw in a marine 5.8.
but I want to make sure the outdrive is ok to do that to?

alldodge

Staff member
Your outdrive has no issue going up in HP, and the block is the same size only internals change. The issue is if all the stuff (power steering, alternator, etc) will attach without issue, and that part I'm unsure

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My 5.0 is a carb motor

and is the 5.0 a 302 ford motor (distributor at front of motor), or a 305 GM motor (distributor at back of the motor)

the induction system is irrelevant.

if its a ford motor and IFF its the High Output, it already has the 351 heads and cam and firing order.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What you need to do is spend some time studying a VP parts manual to make sure that the block's mounting points are the same between the 5.0 and the 5.8 so you don't have to change the bell housing or engine mounts...also check to see if they use the same coupler as well. Not sure if the intakes are the same either. You need to compare parts #s to make sure your parts will fit the 5.8.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/948.cfm
this is the OMC version but the same as Volvo of that year this is for a carbed engine...

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/1077.cfm
this is the efi version

I find the VP parts catalog a nightmare to negotiate unless you know the exact model # the OMC one is much easier because it is set up by model year and model #. And from '94-98 the OMC and Volvo engines were the same...same parts...etc...

based on what I see in the catalog...it SHOULD work....

for '96 I think the only joint venture OMC/Volvo 5.0 was a Ford...but keep in mind...your '96 boat...might have a '95 power package...make sure of what you have...

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Same outdrive sits in front of big blocks.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
I’ve got the 5.0 Ford. It’s a good little engine. That SX will take a 5.8 easy. It will have a different gear ratio than what came with the 5.8 though. 5.0 came with a 1.6:1 ratio and 5.8 came with a 1.51:1 ratio. There close enough that it won’t make much difference, but you will need a different prop to get all you can from that engine.

Mine is the HO. So heads and firing order are the same as a 351. Look on your risers. It should say HO.

Ok, I'll look. And I will post what prop I have and let you guys tell me what prop would be best for skiing and tubing.

c1steve

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did this exact same job on my boat. Was a 5.0 Ford, swapped in a Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI.
What I had to change:
Coupler
Bellows hoses
Longer power steering pressure hose.

I think that was it. The Merc has the dry fit exhaust risers, which I really like. I added 4.5" riser extensions.
Aftermarket parts appear to be more available for Mercruiser. Overall it worked very well.