Volvo Penta 3.0 GLP-J RawWater Pump Trouble

RMS58

Cadet
I remember reading on this forum somewhere about locating parts for this pump with out replacing the entire pump and buying it from Volvo. I have the part numbers for the impeller and the "O" ring seal for the pump housing, but I can't seem to locate a part number for the lip seal that goes between the impeller and the bearing. The diagram at Volvo Penta does not show that seal. It does indicate a part called a guide washer, but the diagram appears to show that going between the pully and the crankshaft.
I tried to upload an image showing what I had found but was unable to do so. I get an Unknown error pop up when I try.
Has any one rebuilt this type of pump successfully?
Of course my dealer refuses to rebuild the pump, will only sell a new pump.
Thank you in advance...

Bob :)

RMS58

Cadet
Would love to but as I mentioned in my first post, I get a “unknown error” pop up box when trying to post a picture.
I will try from a different computer to see if I can get it to post.
Thanks for the response

-Bob

RMS58

Cadet
2 pictures of the raw water pump, the lip seal is shown on the shaft of the drive pulley.

Attachments

• photo318172.jpg
    photo318172.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo318173.jpg
    photo318173.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

RMS58

Cadet
Awesome!
Yegboats, might I ask what is the URL for that page you posted?
Thank you

-Bob

RMS58

Cadet
Thank you both Sparky and Yegboats, I was able to use the part numbers from Yegboats to find a local parts supplier. I will be ordering them tomorrow.
Hopefully this will make the boat happy again!

Chers :)

Bob

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you both Sparky and Yegboats, I was able to use the part numbers from Yegboats to find a local parts supplier. I will be ordering them tomorrow.
Hopefully this will make the boat happy again!

Chers :)

Bob

Glad to help!

RMS58

Cadet
Update!!
The parts arrived from a Volvo Penta dealer in the NY area, the local Maine dealers did not want to sell me parts. They were mare than happy to sell me an entire pump. (Not happening)
I cleaned up the pump shaft with a little scotch brite pad and some warm water to clean out the rust and pad residue.
Use some seal lube to allow the inner pump to bearing seal to slide into the bore and seated it with a deep socket and a flat brass drift punch.
Lubed the devil out of the pump vanes, slid it in and reassembled the pump.
Put it back on the engine, put the belt back on, hooked up the water and fired up the engine. I let the engine run and it came up to temp, circulated water nicely and no more leak.
Than you all for your kind assistance.
Cheers!!

-Bob