Gauges flashing on start up

robwny

Seaman Apprentice
2008 chaparral 276 ssi 8.1 G.I.vp

Boat runs excellent, the past week I had a problem with my accessory battery so I replaced it. My starting battery has worked perfect never had a problem. When I start the boat the gauges in the multi function gauge in the red flash on and off, and so does the temperature, oil pressure, voltage gauge. It reads like 12.6 on the gauge while it’s flashing. Then it goes up to 13.8 to 14.1

Then there’s no more flashing and everything runs perfect. never causes me another issue. Any thoughts I actually flip the batteries in it did not change anything. When this happens nothing is even on no stereo just started the boat.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is this a new to you boat? Did it just start doing this? I say this because most newer gauge packages do self checks on start up such as gauge needles going low to high then to low then to where they should be digital gauges usually do something similar like flashing or changing colors then going to normal but all this usually takes place for just a few seconds afther start up

robwny

Seaman Apprentice
I actually have checked every ground at the switches. I checked the belt tension put a new belt on it. It’s not that the readings are flashing, it’s the light inside plus the red lights that are in behind all the gauges.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That should be controlled be a separate switch/rheostat some where on the dash or switch pannel