4.3l bogging down

bigred1mp

Cadet
New to the forum and to boating.
I have a 1993 Wellcraft 202 Nova Spyder with a 4.3l V6 and 305 hours, volvol SP outdrive and a 15x17 aluminum prop. She had a 4bbl Rochester quadrajet carb.
Last weekend when I took her out with a fresh full tank of 92octane and two passengers no extra gear she started up right away and would idle fine. Ran out to the middle of the lake a d noticed the throttle was not responding beyond 2000rpm
Then at random she would stall out completely but would start back up on the first try.
If I put her out of gear I had no problem revving it to redline but once back in gear nothing beyond 2000rpm.
I assume my carb is clogged so I will do a rebuild. My question is should I be looking at anything else besides the carb?

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice
Can you describe the boat performance prior to this issue? That is, you've been running it all year and this suddenly happened? or this is the first time out for the year? Interested to know if it's a sudden change. May help eliminate some causes.

bigred1mp

Cadet
Third trip of the summer and I noticed she was sluggish out of the hole but would get up on plane.
She always starts up with no issues but I did notice that idle was a little rough at times.
All fluids were changed this May. But the fuel filters we're not changed so that may be the issue.

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure which ignition you are running? typical small cap HEI distributor ? Always good to change the cap and rotor, and use your fingers to run over the wires to make sure there are no cuts or chafes which is usually a premature short to ground which "steals" your ignition energy.