1995 VP 4.3 gl fuel pump

Wellcraftexcel

Recruit
Marina has diagnosed a failed fuel pump. They screwed up order so now I’ve got opportunity to purchase and install myself.
im aware of huge price difference between OEM and aftermarket models. Any aftermarket brands better than others? Any really good reason to stick with OEM? Any tricks I should know to install it.? It’s very accessible so seems pretty simple.
thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Its pretty simple and have not heard much of any troubles with aftermarket pumps.

alan ber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My favorite topic , Volvo Penta fuel cells ,
Going from Mercrusier too Volvo Penta was an experience , Volvo Parts costly Limited aftermarket ,
Few years ago I purchased a 30 ft boat with twin 4.3 GXI Volvo Penta , Came with a 3 axle trailer ,.
When I purchased boat towed into a Volvo Dealer thinking bite the bullet , let them go thru boat since it was new too me
Had too replace both fuel cells , $ 2500 with labor ???. Came with a 2 year warranty if dealer installed , Year 2 one cell crapped out , Boat was 100 miles from dealer , Dealer said it was OK for me too remove so they can bench test , WAS NG They gave me another , I installed in 20 minutes , Dealer really stuck it too me between inflated cost & labor
They lost most of my business including a new long block on one engine ,
WE are into year 5 , I have since had too replace all pumps , Boat in salt water , REFUESED too pay VOLVO PENTA PRICING , A few guys on UTUBE rebuild , Cells are available ,
I found on Amazon China after market , $ 199.00 TOOK A CHANCE , Installed and they work fine ,
Only issue I had was the fuel filter canister that came with pumps too large for the volvo penta engine , need the low profile
Volvo Penta parts is like Mercedes parts , little aftermarket , very costly , Few places too rebuild ,
NEVER AGAIN

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the factory pumps are Carter / Airtex units in a box.