Volvo Penta Diesel Timing Belt failure

You should know that the 1500 engine hour Volvo Penta timing belt replacement cannot be
trusted. My port side D3 200 failed at 1350 hours. The cause was a failed timing belt tensioner which allowed the cogged belt to slip. If you do not know the difference between a timing belt and chain or an interference and non interference engine
you may want to read up. The 5 cylinder DOHC D3 is a n interference engine with a timing belt not chain - a recipe for a very expensive failure. I suggest avoiding these engines and if you have one change the belt with the kit well before the recommended 1500 hours. FYI SOHC engine are generally not interference designs I.e. the piston will never hit the valves even when the timing belt fails - making for a simple inexpensive repair. I you need DOHC at least look for an engine with a timing CHAIN. Shame on Volvo.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I only know this because I’m going to change the belts on my friends sealine with twin D3 190’s...but there are a couple of opinions on when they should be changed, depending where you look.
the most of them and the original service manual states 1400 hours max or 8 years. Whichever comes first.

these are generally amazing engines and have been tried and tested as bomb proof in the XC90 since 2002 to present day. We all know that road engines don’t always do well in a boat, but these do. I don’t like the idea of belts in the marine engine though.
The same engine in the jeep states a lesser time period, it must be said.
you seem to have been really unlucky.