Hard starting after floating

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2006 four winns 210 horizon with the 5.7 Volvo Gi-F. When I take it off trailer it starts right up and runs great. However if I stop the boat and float around for a couple hours the boat will not start. It will crank and crank but not turn over. Not sure if it is because it's hot but I dont think it is as I can shut boat off after a run and will start right up if I try. Only seems to have the issue after boat sits in water for awhile. Anyone have any issue like this and know what I should look at? It has a new fuel pump as well.
Thanks

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice
Your issue is google searchable as "vapor lock"; but it's debatable as to whether or not it's the correct terminology - and you'll find an abundance of effective and ineffective solutions online.

I fight the same issue with my VP 5.0 carbureted engine - other's posting on this forum have discussed similar issues. My non-expert explanation is that your fuel has evaporated or boiled off in the fuel line between the pump and your injectors (no carb right?). The vaporization of the fuel creates a loss in feed pressure and/or positive pressure in the line and your fuel pump has to overcome this to deliver fuel. It seems the higher ethanol fuels have aggravated the problem.

Other guys here may suppose it's related to the fuel tank venting and/or the anti-siphon valve where the fuel line taps into the tank. The latter two causes can have less of a dependency on temperature - so i tend to dismiss those as a dominant cause.

For me, I've verified my fuel pressure is ok, insulated my fuel line, verified the tank vent and anti-siphon valve, change fuel filter, changed plugs, cleaned the spark arrestor and distributor cap, and tried ethanol treatment with higher quality gas. With all this I had two small issues last week down at Norris Lake.

What I've found as the best prevention is to start my engine every 20~30 minutes or so, idle longer before planing out, idle longer after the initial stop, and running the blower more often. By doing this, my issues were just a simple stall, and I was able to re-start pretty easily. The previous years, i'd literally have to crank and crank and crank before I'd eventually get started again.

I probably haven't helped much, but can certainly give more details if needed.

BTW...did you get restarted when this happened?

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! My buddy had said he though might be vapor lock too. I've been looking that up seems like it could be the issue. It's just weird how if I run it for awhile then stop it the boat will fire right back up. Does vapor lock take time to happen? I did eventually get the boat started again after. I let it sit for another 40 min after my unsuccessful starting attempts. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or I just got lucky.

alldodge

Staff member
If it only happens when doing something as mentioned then it sounds like vapor lock (VL).

This happens when the motor has been run for a while, it slows down and go swimming, eat lunch, other. During this off time the fuel system is heat soaked and liquid gas turns into vapor. When key is turned back on, liquid fuel can not make it back to the fuel rail because the vapor pressure is so high.

To verify if this is what is happening, you need safety glases, a rag, small screw driver and bag to put rag in afterwards.

Remove the cap (item 20) off Shrader valve behind throttle body. Place rag around the valve and press in on the center of the valve and turn key to ON (do not start) and see if air/vapor comes out of the fuel rail. Wear glasses so any spray is kept away from your eyes. If its all liquid and no air, then its not VL

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744840-23-8848.aspx

If there is air with liquid, turn key OFF then back ON trying to get more air out of fuel rail. Once all liquid, place rag in container and try to start the motor

If it was VL, there are ways to reduce the issue but only one fix IMO that works. To reduce VL, idle for a good while prior to shutting motor down, and run blower to cool engine room. Open the hatch if you can to help cool area.

The fix is re-route the fuel regulator return from the filter, and return it to the fuel tank

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! My buddy had said he though might be vapor lock too. I've been looking that up seems like it could be the issue. It's just weird how if I run it for awhile then stop it the boat will fire right back up. Does vapor lock take time to happen? I did eventually get the boat started again after. I let it sit for another 40 min after my unsuccessful starting attempts. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or I just got lucky.

As usual, AllDodge has some good insight. Yes, definitely time/heat related. In the past, we'd typically sit in the hot sun for an hour or two, start up fine and when I'd go to take-off, it would stumble and die. From there, re-starting was a stress-fest for my wife and I. Now that I pay attention to engine temp and re-start occasionally to get fuel moving, I rarely have an issue. My two occurrences last week were not super-positive given the preventative measures I've done, but basically the engine started back up after 5 or 10 seconds of cranking. Much better than 45 minutes.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's awesome thank you guys for the help! I will try that next weekend.

alldodge

Staff member
Takes me a while to type sometimes, the reason I didn't see MisterBulbous post