Back in the water but still concerned

jgerardi

Seaman
2007 Chaparral 256ssi . 8.1Gi-H . DPS-A 1.78 drive

I have had many issues with my boat recently. Rebuild long block, installed it and the new starter damaged the flywheel. Replaced the flywheel, put the boat in the water and it ran beautifully until the outdrive seized (20 minutes later). Kills me to say this but im convinced i did not have enough oil in it. Now i replaced the upper gear case of the outdrive and once again, back in the water.

Now, i am having an issue that im just not sure about. The boat seems to have the power. It starts right up, idles nicely. Not as smooth as my car but still seems good. No ticks, clicks or rattles. I put it in gear and it seems great until i accelerate. When the engine gets up just a couple of hundred RPM (say 800) it seems to be somewhat rough. I feel a slight shake or vibration from the back of the boat. Once i get up to 1000 or so rpm, its smoothes right out and again, runs well.

When i get out to open water and try to get up on plane, it seems to have all the power it had and does in fact get right up on plane, but it seems a little on the loud side.

As i said, all in all, it seems pretty good, it just doesnt seem as smooth and quiet as it was.

My third issue (although the old engine did this also) is that when i am running around 2500 rpm, i hear a pretty loud whistling sound from the engine. Almost like air being sucked though a tube. It seems more prevalent when i am decelerating as opposed to accelerating.

My thoughts are these:

Perhaps my lower gear box on the outdrive has something going on. I disassembles the entire thing when i replaced the upper and cleaned it out quite thoroughly. The gears were pristine and and the bearings seemed fine. (the lower gearcase was never without oil when the upper seized).

Second thought is my engine coupler may have been damaged when the engine seized. I can actually put my fingers between the engine and transom and feel the coupler. It is brand new but clearly the rubber is not sitting tight against the outer sleeve. It seams to have slipped back in one spot. The engine was aligned with the proper tool before installation and checked several times throughout this process. I replaced the coupler because when i remove my engine initially, the original also had the rubber slipped back and quite unevenly as well. However it was always as smooth as could be. (see picture of old coupler)

Third possibility is that is is perfectly fine and i am just being hypersensitive about it.

Thoughts anyone

IMG_1672.JPGIMG_1673.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I think both couplers are fine

The acceleration issue may be a precurser to something, maybe TPS or IAC transition, but I would just watch it and see if it gets worst

jgerardi

Seaman
thanks but what is TPS / IAC? Both the pictures are the same coupler. Just from opposite angles.