Splashed with a few issues.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Took the boat out for its maiden voyage after rebuilding. Overall it ran okay but there's 2 significant issues.

Issue #1: tends to stall at idle. This is particularly problematic because you have to idle to shift into gear. Took a few times to get started but overall it's not safe to continue this way. Any ideas on what to check?

Issue #2: Boat under power always wanted to do a hard left so I had to have a death grip on the steerinsteeril. Okay for a short trial run but also a safety issue in reality.

It was fun and satisfying to take it out but I have more work to do...

Thanks folks!

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Doing some research and I think the stall is from air leaking in at the bottom of the carb. The bolts weren't overly tight so I cleaned things up and tightened everything up. Steering is hopefully just an adjustment at the prop. Tomorrow will tell when I test.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Really helps if we know what we're working on??

Starting fluid, start the motor, spray SF around the base and around the intake.
Any change? then it's sucking air.

Hard turn, the drive has a nose cone or directional fin, turn it to the direction of the turn.

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Jerry, Should have thought of SF or something. The motor is a Volvo Penta AQ131D with an SP-A outdrive. I did change the directional fin to oppose the direction of the pull. Boat pulled to the left, I moved the directional fin to the right. It was pointing to the left which I think was just making it worse. Unfortunately with a few storms here I haven't been able to test yet, hopefully today or tomorrow now that the changes are done.