Pressure test block/HX Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I need to pressure test my VP 5.7Gi block for leaks. Suspect a blown head gasket do to water in oil but engine runs fine. From last post, salt water pouring out (and I mean pouring!) of RW reservoir. Engine now overheats. Pulled HX to pressure test but not much on web hot to do procedure. Read about bike tire but how do I plug up other outlets/inlets? My main question is: I may have two problems, bad HX and blown head gasket. How to I do a block test with heat exchanger removed? Pic of engine below. Thank you for help. Eric Mailander

Attachments

• photo316748.jpg
    photo316748.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Make sure to look at the exhaust manifolds and risers probable that's were the problem started as for pressure testing the block I haven't heard of doing it that way .
, the way I've always seen it done was to introduce air into the spark plug holes one at a time and see or here where the air come out

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get HX tested. If that passes, re-install, block off inlet hose and two hoses to exhaust and use a standard radiator pressure tester (about $20 on amazon)

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for the help. I ended up placing a cut bike tire tube over the fresh water side of the HX and blocked the overflow tubes. Then emerged the unit in a water-filled ice chest and air bubbles came out two of the raw water ports. So guess it failed the test. The HX is now obsolete and terribly expensive if I could even find one. May have to just re-power. Thank you again guys.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
as I told you in your other thread. take your HX in to a radiator shop and have them test. they can also repair.

and yes, a proper HX is about $800 just for the cooler, a complete kit is about $1500

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. My HX is sealed and I think the leak is inaccessible. I did an online search for the same type of HX and it is now obsolete. Anyway, I appreciate your comments!

Eric

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Bullcrap

Take it to a radiator shop. Quit arguing and just do it

The end caps get un-soldered, the tube sheets re-brazed. Then the end caps re-soldered

Its done all the time.

So quit arguing, look up you local heavy duty radiator shop and get it repaired.

You already wasted 3 weeks

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. I get advice from so many people, many telling me to just re-power at 4,000 hours. If the HX rebuild fails or a radiator shop can't salvage it, can I just convert back to raw water? Just a thought.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
at 4000 hours your motor is most likely tired. HX's can always be repaired.

whitesharkseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Roger. Just know I do really appreciate your advice. Thank you once again, I'm learning a lot!

Best, Eric