Volvo Penta Throttle/Shift friction adjustment - how?

Misterbulbous

Seaman Apprentice
Running a 2002 Volvo Penta 5.0 GL-B here. While I understand the reason for the throttle holding position and having tension, it seems just a bit tighter than it should be. Basically at a point where it's hard to advance smoothly.

The boat has always been garage kept and well-maintained, no real reason to suspect binding or issues with cables and I'd really like to avoid taking cables out and messing that up. For the sake of allowing my wife to drive the boat and be able to run the throttle, I'd like to loosen up the friction just a tiny bit.

Q: Does anyone know how to remove the face plate from the throttle? I know to remove the plastic nut at the kill switch. Supposedly the plate can be popped off, but I feel like I'm at the point of snapping it off, if I pull much harder.

Also...tension seems to be the same whether or not the drive is in gear or not.

Attachments

• photo316743.jpg
    photo316743.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316744.jpg
    photo316744.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
Try disconnecting the Cable at the carburetor to be sure the bind is not on that end.
On the shift handle there should be a Allen screw that is usually on the 6 o’clock position of the handle. There may be a friction adjustment under the plastic bezel. There are also screws that mount the control to the panel. There also are the wires for the neutral safety switch. If you have to replace the cable get a Morse Supreme, Morse cable jackets are red, Detmar cables are blue or black. The supreme cables cost more but are very smooth. The measurement of the cable is printed on it.