AQ125a, Bad Starter?

ebne0018

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '83 AQ125a that has been having some starter issues this year. When I turn the key I just hear the "click" of the solenoid but the motor doesn't turn over. If I keep trying it will eventually turn over, and then it starts and runs fine.

Here is a typical scenario:
If the boat has been sitting for a while it will take 20 or turns of the key to get the motor to turn over. Then, once it turns over once it will take anywhere from 1-5 turns to get it to turn over again.

It seems like the issue has been getting worse over time. I remember it not turning over once last year and I wrote it off as a low battery. After I got it back from winter storage this year it took probably 10 tries to get it to turn over the first time, but once it did it started every key turn. Putting it on the water for the first time, it took maybe 15 turns to get it to turn over, but once it did It would start all day on the water no problem.

Now it's taking 20 tries and if it sits for even an hour I have to try 20 times to get it to start again.

I have done some digging here and elsewhere and I have tried the following:

1. Had the battery tested and it tested 499CCA for a 500CCA battery
2. Checked the voltage at the key, same as the battery voltage
3. Replaced the battery ground wire
4. cleaned sanded the block where the ground wire connects
5. cleaned the battery posts
6. installed new terminals on the positive cable
7. removed all accessories from the battery so only the two main cables are connected
8. moved the ground the from the block to starter bracket
9. tried shorting the solenoid with a screw-driver

Anything else I should try before getting a new starter?

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Either the key switch or not sure but if it has an assist relay

The assist relay transfers power on the motor from the battery to the starter solenoid

If there is not one, (probably does not have one) then check voltage on the starter solenoid when key is turned to start

kenny nunez

Captain
There is a small assist relay near the starter. It has a small metal bracket, the wires are yellow/red stripe along with red wires. It is about 1” square. The terminals are numbered so when you change the relay do it wire for wire one at a time.

ebne0018

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies.

If it is the switch relay, shouldn't shorting the solenoid with a screw driver bypass it?

And to add to the mystery, yesterday morning I put the battery on a charger. When I came home the thing fired right up. Once. Then started clicking again.

So, I thought maybe the battery test wasn't as through as it could have been (I recently had this problem with one if my cars, battery tested good but it wouldn't always start. Replaced and battery and the problem disappeared).

Anyway, picked up a new battery last night. Boat fired right up. Hit the water, worked perfect all night. Tried starting this morning, and just a click.

So, here's my new question. Do you think maybe the internal resistance on the started has risen to a point where it needs the extra oomph of a fresh charged battery, then one it warms up a little the resistance drops and it works fine until it cools down?

alldodge

Staff member
So, here's my new question. Do you think maybe the internal resistance on the started has risen to a point where it needs the extra oomph of a fresh charged battery, then one it warms up a little the resistance drops and it works fine until it cools down?

I don't see that as an issue, or causing this issue
IMO its either corrosion or a bad starter

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You diagnosed the problem.
The starter or the solenoid is probably bad.

The old Volvo's just need a test light to find out the problem.

Test light at the starter power lug.
Turn the key and if the light is lit, then the starter is bad.
You turn the key and the light doesn't lite up, then the solenoids bad.

Get a battery load tester 25$ Harbor Freight.

ebne0018

Seaman Apprentice
So I picked up a new starter and everything is perfect except on my old starter there are two threaded extensions on end of the started that the throttle cable mounting brackets mounts to. I looked around and it seems all the starters for the aq125a that are currently available are like this. Has anyone seen a retrofit bracket?

I built a bracket out of Marine plywood that mounts to the side of the engine bay and then costed it. I'd like to find a more permanent solution that connects to the engine if possible though.

alldodge

Staff member
Assuming your old starter was turned in as a core, you could take your new one to a starter rebuild shop and see if they have some longer studs.

G

On my aq125a i had that ticking
the starter silinoid pushing arm had rusted shut, and wouldn't send the gear to the flywheel
starter worked on the bench
When i opened the silinoid much of it turned to dust
had to replace the whole starter, motor turns over nicly now