AQ171 exhaust manifold

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 19 Ft Glasply with an Aq171 engine in it. The guy says it ran but needed a new exhaust manifol . I have read up on it and it appears that parts are very rare so pretty steeply priced. The hull appears to be in great shape and my brother in law has the identical boat and has had good luck with it. He claims to have a spare motor complete with the exhaust manifold and carbs I can get for an additional $400 bucks. A bit of a gamble but he only wants $750 bucks for the boat and its sitting on a decent galvinized trailer. I under stand I would be taking on a huge project and financial dilemma but i like a challenge. The question is what would my steps in the future be if I decide that I would rather just upgrade to a motor with cheaper parts? Are there motors that will bolt up to the out drive? Is there anyone that makes a replacement exhaust manifold that wont break the bank? If possible I would like to keep the spare motor complete for my boat or the broth in laws boat. Any insight would be great appreciated. I understand it would cost quite a but but I really like these Glasplys.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
And what year? And which drive?

I believe you have a 270. Many motors were in front of the 270, 280 and 290 drives from the 2.3 4 banger to larger V8s

kenny nunez , you have more knowledge with older VPs than I do

What drive was paired with the inline 6 for the 171? My guess a 4.3 would be a good replacement

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still waiting for a little bit of info. It is a 1976 19ft with small cuddy. Not sure about drive. I will ask when I talk to him next.

captmello

Captain
fyi, the aq171 was a 4 cyl motor from the mid 1980s. you most likely have an aq170, the inline 6 Scott mentioned, used in the 1970s. so be careful what parts you are searching for. that said I wouldn't want either motor. if you want a project, buy it. if you want to go boating, skip it. imo.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The AQ171 was a 4cyl with 2 carbs.

RUN

The cost is good but the other parts your gonna need =$$$$

The manifold is a comb with the riser and manifold log built into one unit.
They can look beautiful but be rotten on the inside.

Did a mechanical check on one for sale.
The motor and manifold looked great.
I reached back to the rear of the manifold and pushed a hole through the top.
Pretty paint.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While am down for a good project. Obviously a project like this is going to cost a pretty penny. I went ahead and got it because I have until next year to get it figured out. Worst case I part out the 2 motors and turn a profit. Down side is I have not yet gotten time to mess with the two motors. I had hoped that I could rebuild the spare on a state d and have it ready to throw in however I see what you mean about parts. I cant seem to even fi d a rebuild kit or anything. Anybody know if there is a way to get anything like that? Or is there another motor that will bolt up to a Volvo Penta 280?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
About any motor will hook to a 280.
Just need the right drive shaft
There are a bunch of different combo's.

The gear ratio could be a problem?

Guy in Balto. bought a 28Bayliner.
The drive was shot.
Put a 4cyl drive on it and it wouldn't get out of it's own way.

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know if anybody ever made an after market kit for the exhaust on these things?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Osco might have made one?.
If they don't sell something here? (they won't)
Try Cobe Marine in Pasadena, Md.

The 171 manifold is a RARE!!!!!! one.
Two on e-bay for $950 and $1000 !!!
(I told you to RUN!!!)

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was aware of that going into it. I figured worse comes to worse I will turn this into a real project and repower it. I'm not afraid of a little work. I know it will cost alot but I love these Glasplys. I'm up in the Puget sound area and my brother in laws boat is great when it gets rough. Cuts through the waves like butter

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
From a parts perspective this is gonna be a lot of time and $$$$. If you can figure out part numbers, and what you have you could probably make good money at parting it out.