2006 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi Leaking between Riser and Manifold

dhardest

Seaman
2006 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi (with original risers and manifolds, I am embarrassed to say)

Hello, just took the boat into the shop for diagnosis and hopefully a successful repair. Got the boat out of storage about a month ago to get ready for the season (I know, late start), and when I started it using a feeder hose I noticed that instead of running smooth and quiet, just humming along, it was much louder than normal but in a "gears winding" kind of sound. I only ran it for 10-15 minutes. Didn't take it out that day or since, because didn't have the time. I was thinking (or hoping rather) that the loud noise was just because the engine hadn't run in about 8 months. Fast forward to yesterday, got the boat out again to take her for a shake-down run and again, engine was loud, same "gear" noise. After on the water for about 15 minutes, stopped and anchored, and noticed water leaking from between the riser and the manifold at the gasket, near the corner where one of the riser bolts was loose. I am now wondering if water has leaked into the engine also. But checked the oil and it's somewhat clean, and definitely not milky.

Could water be in the cylinders and not down in the oil pan?

So took it in and explained to the shop. Hopefully caught whatever the issue is early enough to prevent major damage or engine failure.

Any opinions on whether my engine is toast?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is this a salt water boat?

if so you should be pulling your elbows every few years for inspection of the manifolds and elbows

and yes, water could be in your cylinders and not made it past your rings. hopefully you pulled the plugs and spun her over and didnt let it sit a month.

if you let it sit a month with water in the cylinders, then your motor may be toast.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If it's a VP part then there is a metal gasket between the manifold and riser the VP ones tend to rust out for some reason. I've been down that road the after market ones worked way better for me(salt water boat) It is posable for water to leak there and not cause any engine damage but not likely. Scott's correct if you let it sit that way it could be bad but also if you tried to start it you could have had a condition know as hydrostatic lock, trying to compress that water in a cylinder can cause some very serious engine damage also

dhardest

Seaman
OK Thanks for the feedback. I didn't pull the plugs, and so we will see what the shop says when they call early this week.

I would think that if the engine had hydro-static lock, then it wouldn't have run as well as it did. I mean, it ran ok the other day but just was making a strange noise that it never had made before. I would assume that hydro-static lock meant that the engine stalled and won't turn over due to the water trapped in the cylinders. Mine isn't locked up like that, unless it's something that's not obvious.

But in either case, yes this is a big lesson learned and I'll be sure to get the risers and manifolds checked every few years, and replaced about every 5-6 years. Hopefully the engine will survive this and it's just a matter of some repair. But the part that worries me is the sound. That sound seems like it's coming from inside the engine.

I normally boat in brackish water in an intercoastal waterway. And normally flush with fresh water afterward.