98 Volvo Penta 3.0L Holley 2300 Carb

bergadam

Seaman Apprentice
so I have a 3.0 L MWTR motor that I re-powered three years ago with a new motor, and I am having trouble getting the carburetor set correctly. The unit originally calls for a .68 and .67 fixed jet on the 2300, but it is only for the year 1998. The other years around it use a .72 fixed jet. The boat runs best with the .72 jets in it. Any idea what the difference is in the years before and after 1998? I am thinking about buying a remanufactured carb from 1999 or later. The combination manifold is the same on years 1994 to like 2001 so any thoughts or explanations? I appreciate what everyone does on here and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the air bleeds were a different size. Or the Orifices for the power circuit were different, or maybe the calibration of the Power Valve was different. There is a lot more to a carbs fuel delivery curve than just the jets, even on a very simple carb like the Holley
Maybe there was a slight difference in the camshaft spec.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a holley is as simple as a kohler toilet

and since the jets are interchangeable as well as power valves, and the squirter nozzle and accelerator cam, why would you buy a different carb? the 2300 shares the metering block and bowl from the 4150/4160 family (depending if its center-hung or end hung float)

if you are having problems, 95% of the time it is because there is dirt in the carb, specifically in the bottom passages of the metering block

an assortment of jets and some gaskets is under $50, with incidentals, you can go thru your carb for under $60

bergadam

Seaman Apprentice
Makes perfect sense, I’ll perform a cleaning and rebuild and see what I get. Thanks for your responses!