Volvo Penta tilt/trim problems

Whowlet

Recruit
Hi all long time lurker here just a few quick questions.... I've got a 1994 glastron ssv 175 with a Volvo Penta 230b engine when I bought it the tilt gauge never worked it always pointed to the very top position at the end of last summer the tilt switch itself stopped working no up or down and the trim switch goes down but sometimes not back up....i checked all the connections they look clean no breaks except the sender under the console has a break in the little wire on the outside of the black box could this be the problem?

​​​​Also I bought 2 new relays from Napa but I'm unsure if they're correct I was told pretty much any standard 5 pin relay would work but I'd rather be sure before I got popping them in and frying something...I'm a little outside of my wheelhouse with electrical work so any help is appreciated

Attachments

• photo316364.jpg
    photo316364.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • photo316365.jpg
    photo316365.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • photo316366.jpg
    photo316366.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yes the relay should work and yes the broken wire could also be a problem but also check the sending unit should be on one side of the pins that the drive pivots on, there known to have broken wire that you can't fix. That's probably where the indicator problem is

Whowlet

Recruit
Is this what you mean? Not at the boat currently to take.a picture of the actual part just had the part number written down and googled it

Attachments

• photo316436.png
    photo316436.png
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 4